A little karma weirdness

chowhound

I never saw this before;
I was in a thread, Ray's potato recipe thread, and I went to give him karma and couldn't. BUT..... I did not receive the usual "you must spread it around message".... the message I received said something about the thread not having any "reputation yet" and it also gave me my karma points. Has anyone else ever had this happen? And what did it mean about the thread not having any reputation yet?

Newnork1978

I never saw this before;
I was in a thread, Ray's potato recipe thread, and I went to give him karma and couldn't. BUT..... I did not receive the usual "you must spread it around message".... the message I received said something about the thread not having any "reputation yet" and it also gave me my karma points. Has anyone else ever had this happen? And what did it mean about the thread not having any reputation yet?

I don't know how to give Karma, so I don't have anything to say about your question...but I just wanted to let you know I LOVE your parachute tagline/sig. :thumb:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
That usually happens when you click on the karma button in your own post.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Newnork - to give karma - click on the scales button in the top right hand corner of the post you appreciate. Its between the post number and the "report it" warning sign.

chowhound

Thanks Nork. A little play on words from someone else's sig line ;^)

Well, I'm not along getting the message then, Ray, but I was in your thread. Thanks for letting me know.

Newnork1978

Newnork - to give karma - click on the scales button in the top right hand corner of the post you appreciate. Its between the post number and the "report it" warning sign.

I see it...thank you so much! I've got some Karma I've been saving up for when I learned how to distribute it. :wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, as MM said, that is what happens when you click Karma for your own post. It gives a report as to whether your post has received Karama, and it also reports your total K value.

chowhound

Yeah, as MM said, that is what happens when you click Karma for your own post. It gives a report as to whether your post has received Karama, and it also reports your total K value.

hmmm, so the mystery remains as to why it happened within Miniman's thread....

chowhound

I don't know how else you could dumb-it-down. :unsure:

oops, my bad, Jeeks.
Sometimes on the internet the words "post" and "thread" get mixed up. I'm surprised you've never seen this before..... or maybe I'm flattered that you think I could not have made such a mistake :D

I was in Miniman's thread, but I clicked on the karma icon on the first post, which was his. I distinctly remember doing this because I left the thread and came back to it using the back button on my mouse, which always starts me off on the first post in the thread on this forum.
I'll leave it a 5% chance at best I clicked on my own post :smile:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Or maybe by hitting back, a new post came in which shifted all posts in realtime, but your cache of that page didn't advance, and while it looked like you clicked Mini's post from your cahce, it acutally got advanced in realtime due to a new post and you really clicked on your own.

I'm reaching here! :yum:

Bilby

Or maybe by hitting back, a new post came in which shifted all posts in realtime, but your cache of that page didn't advance, and while it looked like you clicked Mini's post from your cahce, it acutally got advanced in realtime due to a new post and you really clicked on your own.

I'm reaching here! :yum:
That bugs the hell out of me - the sites/laptop/broadband can't keep up with my fingers and I end up in places I never meant to be - and in some cases never ever want to be again!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That bugs the hell out of me - the sites/laptop/broadband can't keep up with my fingers and I end up in places I never meant to be - and in some cases never ever want to be again!!

Yeah, I blame it on Windows/PC/ISP/Virus too when DW catches me at those sites! :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

High Cheese

Saucier
Another thought:

Sometimes when I scroll through a thread it will scroll a bit, then pause, then scroll the rest of the way. It has screwed me up before since you can kind of pin point the distance you scroll (because we're forum junkies
busted.gif
).

chowhound

Another thought:

Sometimes when I scroll through a thread it will scroll a bit, then pause, then scroll the rest of the way. It has screwed me up before since you can kind of pin point the distance you scroll (because we're forum junkies
busted.gif
).

True. Especially if there are pics in the thread that haven't loaded yet. The thread will jump all over.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Well have you tried giving karma again on that post to see if it works?

:brows: