Shrimp Season Starts Today!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm shameless in my pursuit of shrimp. Living in New Orleans now...I can tramp to my heart's content!

Origin or Providence has to be detailed when buying any fresh seafood. While the Gulf has been devastated for hundreds of miles, it's not the entire Gulf. There are more areas not contaminated than destroyed. Fisherman are back out there, but the problem remains: will the public buy the shrimp?

While I hope people, particularly restaurants, start buying again, if you don't it's more for me!

What are your thoughts? (please, do not get political.)

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMtKQd4TKi4&p=4E6B344E61238200&playnext=1&index=6[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UiXL858sFI"][/ame]

Forrest Gump got nuthin' on our VeraBlue - You go!

I hope everyone buys shrimp and I hope that there is still plenty for you.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Shrimp will remain forever popular and I doubt sales will decline much if at all. The shrimpers aren't dipping their nets in oil. Just imagine what a mess that would make.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Do your part, Vera, and buy as much shrimp as you and Lou can possibly eat. Etouffes, gumbos, scampi, jambalaya, newburg, curry, alfredo, coconut, fired shrimp, boiled shrimp, baked shrimp, barbecued shrimp - give it your best! When we were in Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato last year, we saw a place that sold shrimp ice cream...but this town is famous for ice cream, and they sell it in all flavors. Shrimp snoballs?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I do my part. I've been waiting for the prices to skyrocket, but they really haven't around here. Until we're told that they are not safe to eat, we'll be eating them. They're a favorite in our house.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I have to admit, the shrimp has been magnificent since I got here. I'm loving the head-on shrimp, never frozen, wild.

The flavour is so much more, has much more depth, so much more developed than anything I ever got up north.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Send me some of those pink gulf shrimp, I don't even bother with that imported crap!

I second that. Gulf Pinks, labeled Key West Pinks in Naples come fresh off the boat docks at Ft. Myers Beach. If I remember correctly, the main fishing grounds are down around The Dry Tortugas.

I have to admit, the shrimp has been magnificent since I got here. I'm loving the head-on shrimp, never frozen, wild.

The flavour is so much more, has much more depth, so much more developed than anything I ever got up north.

I purchase them heads off unless I want to make stock. The white shrimp you used to get up north isn't the same. In Wisconsin I buy shrimp "fresh" or frozen. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, I've turned into a stock making fool!!!:whistling:

Comes with being a Nawlins' resident, doesn't it? A thousand years ago when I was flying 727's and Fran was a domestic (but not domesticated) flight attendant we would fly together and bid MSY layovers just for the food. I think I told you once that our layover hotel was the Royal Sonesta. I used to take a quick shower and scarf up three dozen oysters at the Acme Oyster Bar before Fran finished her nap. I LOVE that town. :clap:

AllenOK

The green-eyed monster of envy is alive and well here!

Vera, please hoist up a few shrimp in my honor whilst I'm slaving away here!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
There is a lot of truth to the story that some fishermen are not returning to the water. The belief that they will make more money from the settlement rather than going back out to fish is a real concern. Restaurants are afraid to place the orders if there is fear or belief that patrons won't order the shrimp. If the shrimpers don't get the orders, what's the point of going out?

The feeling I get, however...is that people want to eat the shrimp. Origin and providence is easy to ascertain. Restaurants have to carry the tags on record for three years. You cannot buy the fish without the tags. Everyone wins. We just need the restaurants to start placing the orders with the knowledge that patrons will order it.

buckytom

Grill Master
you're right about fresh gulf shrimp being a special thing, vb. i used to love eating them at those little joints on the end of piers off the barrier islands near sarasota/bradenton. the smaller shrimp boats would pull up to the pier, delivering their daily catch. within minutes you could be eating the briefly steamed little monsters. no cocktail sauce nor utensils were necessary. just a squirt of lemon and a roll of paper towels hanging from a wire hanger above the tables.
and yeah, that shrimp flavour is something to behold.

it has crossed my mind, though, that considering how quickly the government said the air around the collapsed world trade center was safe, how quickly will they say the shrimp from oil affected areas are safe. :unsure: