Shrimp Tempura with Orange/Horseradish Dip

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Clean & devein colossal shrimp (I used U-8's). Make one or 2 small slits in the inside edge of the shrimp to keep them from curling too much during cooking. Pat dry and set aside on paper towels.

Heat oil to 400F.

Mix dry ingredients in 1 small bowl:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Whisk in another small bowl:
1 cup vodka
1 egg

When the oil gets to 385F, add 1 cup seltzer water to the wet bowl. Then whisk the wet into the dry. Whisk our most of the lumps, but don't worry about small ones.

By now, the oil should be at 400F.

Quickly dip the shrimp in the batter, then drop in the hot oil. Fry for 2-4 minutes, depending on the size, until just barely turning a pale gold.

Drain on paper towels.

Don't fry more than 1/2 - 3/4 pound in a batch.

Dipping sauce: (combine to taste):
orange marmalade
horseradish
honey

I don't have a proportion because some marmalades are sweet and some are sharp. Horseradish can be coarse cut or creamed. Start with about equal portions of each, then add honey and adjust quantities to taste.

Attachments

• tempura 003.jpg
    tempura 003.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 231
  • tempura 009.jpg
    tempura 009.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 247
  • tempura 007.jpg
    tempura 007.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 238
  • tempura 021.jpg
    tempura 021.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 236
  • tempura 029.jpg
    tempura 029.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 245

Guts

Holly Cow U8s I gota try this recipe. but I only have some 21-25s I just have to make more of them. you are cooking them at 400°f that's hot. The dipping sauce looks like it would work very well with the shrimp. The batter looks thicker than I expected. Shrimp is my favorite sea food, even over lobster and crab, and other ocean fish. Thanks for the pictures too. I going to try this sooner than later.
Kim

Deelady

How interesting to use vodka in the batter, I've never heard of that combo. Sounds great! Love the salad you have with it also! Yum!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy SCHMIKEYS, those look great, SS!

The batter is copied and saved - thanks!

I ALWAYS have beer, but rarely have seltzer water. What would you think of the substitution? Too much alcohol?

Lee

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Holy cow!! I'm suffering from Shrimp Envy now!!!

:yum::yum::yum:

I can't find shrimp that big up here. I so miss the coast sometimes. Definitely going to try this batter, thanks!!