Firecracker Shrimp

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I thought I'd posted this before, but I can't find it. This has a real KICK! It really doesn't need a sauce.

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 T fresh ginger - grated or sliced thin (dried won't work in this)
2 cloves garlic - sliced thin
1 habenero pepper - sliced thin

3 T flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 - 3/4 pound peeled shrimp
1 lime, cut in wedges

In a skillet heat the ginger, garlic & habenero in the oil over medium high heat until starting to sizzle - 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to steep about 10 minutes.

Strain the solids out of the oil and discard them. Return the flavored oil to the skillet.

Combine the flour, salt & pepper. Toss with the shrimp to coat.

Bring the heat back up on the oil, and saute the shrimp 1-2 minutes per side, depending on the size of the shrimp. Do not overcook! They will just barely start to show color - they won't get brown. Drain on paper towels.

Attachments

• firecracker shrimp (5).jpg
    firecracker shrimp (5).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 115
  • firecracker shrimp (6).jpg
    firecracker shrimp (6).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 121

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh my, that looks really good. I really like the way you have plated the shrimp with the asparagus. Nice company meal, and I'll try it as soon as I get back from the US. We have a good friend whose wife is in Canada for health reasons, and we'll be having him over for dinner within a few days of my return. This sounds like it would be easy to cook for three.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful job, SS!

You are truly an artiste!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks you both. These may look tame, but they're not! That spicy oil really grabs the flour coating on the shrimp and packs a kick!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
A kick is just what we like, Sage - maybe a cool sauce would be a good accompaniment, like the kind of sauce used on fish tacos...mayo, sour cream, cilantro, garlic...