Coconut Soup with Shrimp and Lemongrass

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Coconut Soup with Shrimp and Lemongrass

Ingredients

4 cups Coconut Milk
2 Stalks Celery, sliced
1 stalk Lemongrass, sliced

8 large Shrimp, peeled and de-veined (tails on)
2 large Leeks, sliced (remove hard inner stem)
2-3 large Carrots, sliced
1/2 cup wet White Wine

1/4 cup fresh Chives, chopped
3 stalks fresh Oregano, stripped and chopped (leaves only)

Procedure

In a medium sized pot over medium heat, add the sliced celery, lemongrass, and coconut milk. Cover and simmer. Stir often and do not scorch. Cook for 30 minutes.

In a skillet, add some Olive Oil and then the leeks and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add white wine, reduce heat, and cover until tender, about 12 minutes. Once tender, remove from heat, and keep covered.

After the coconut milk has cooked for 30 minutes, reduce heat to low and add the shrimp. Cover and allow the shrimp to poach until done, about 6-8 minutes. Once the shrimp are done, remove them to a covered bowl and keep warm.

Bring coconut mixture to a light bowl (to fully incorporate the shrimp flavors), then strain through a colander into a large bowl. The idea is to catch the liquid in a bowl while removing the celery and lemongrass. Return strained liquid to the pot. Now add the cooked leeks and carrots. Bring back to a light bowl for 5 minutes to warm the leeks and carrots through. Next, kill the heat. Now add the chives and oregano. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes.

In a bowl, add 2 shrimp, and then ladle the soup over the shrimp and serve.

Notes

As you make the soup, avoid salt and pepper. You’ll probably want salt at serving, but salt at the table to preserve the flavor of the soup. If you don’t heave lemongrass and can’t find it, then sub in 1 Tbsp of grated ginger. You can also add steamed green beans to this when you add the chives and oregano if you like. The beans should be small and tender.

The flavor on this is rather phenomenal. We’re thinking of taking the leftovers and running it through a blender till smooth, then re-heat and use as a sauce for Panko Fried Shrimp.

Pictures

Add Coconut milk to celery and lemongrass.
Step_1-39.jpg

Sauté and sweat the leeks and carrots.
Step_2-39.jpg

Poach the shrimp for 6-7 minutes in the coconut mixture and remove.
Step_3-33.jpg

Finished with celery and lemongrass strained out. Carrots, leeks, chives, and oregano added in.
Step_4-29.jpg

Plate with 2 shrimp per bowl.
Step_5-23.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never cooked with coconut milk, but I'm certainly intrigued now. Does the sauce come out sweet?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've never cooked with coconut milk, but I'm certainly intrigued now. Does the sauce come out sweet?
Actually, the coconut milk isn’t very sweet at all. It’s a bit thick like milk, and somewhat savory. Adding the Lemongrass or Ginger does give it a bit of sweetness though. Then the carrots and leeks add a nice flavor as they release their sugars, then you finish it off with the oregano and chives. It’s really got layers of flavors that turned out nicely.

Not really sweet, but there is an undeniable sweetness (albeit subtle) to it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Actually, the coconut milk isn’t very sweet at all. It’s a bit thick like milk, and somewhat savory. Adding the Lemongrass or Ginger does give it a bit of sweetness though. Then the carrots and leeks add a nice flavor as they release their sugars, then you finish it off with the oregano and chives. It’s really got layers of flavors that turned out nicely.

Not really sweet, but there is an undeniable sweetness (albeit subtle) to it.

Thanks. Your description sounds kind of like Jeffrey Steingarten, The Man Who Ate Everything. I will be trying this one!