Crispy oven pork chops

Constance

DH brought home some lovely pork chops, about 5/8" thick. He decided to bake them on a rack in the oven, which he has done before, with good results. You just put the rack on a foil-covered baking sheet and put the seasoned chops (or chicken, or whatever) on it and cook at 350-375. By using the rack, the meat gets crispy on both sides. When the meat is almost done, he turns on the broiler for a few minutes to crisp it up a little more.

We have coated the chops in pulverized Stove-Top Stuffing mix, and that was very good, but last night we happened to have 4 bags of assorted chips (2 kettle fried, 1 Frito, and 1 Nacho Cheese Dorito) that were down to the broken bits, so he dumped them all in the food processor and used them for a coating. He only used pepper to season the chops, since there was plenty of salt in the chips.

The chops were really outstanding...tender and moist on the inside, crisp and crunchy on the outside.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll use a probe thermometer so I don't overcook them, but about how long did you bake the chops at 350, Connie?

They sound great!

I might sear the chops under the broiler FIRST, then out of the oven while it cools down to 350, and bake them until 140 internal temp. Like I do on the grill.

I never understood the advantage to the "reverse sear" several of you guys talked about (searing AFTER the meat is just about done). Too much chance to overcook, IMO.

What's the benefit?

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'll use a probe thermometer so I don't overcook them, but about how long did you bake the chops at 350, Connie?

They sound great!

I might sear the chops under the broiler FIRST, then out of the oven while it cools down to 350, and bake them until 140 internal temp. Like I do on the grill.

I never understood the advantage to the "reverse sear" several of you guys talked about (searing AFTER the meat is just about done). Too much chance to overcook, IMO.

What's the benefit?

Lee

Bottom line is about the same. Sure is easy though, and an absolute no brainer for how well they are done. - Lookie here.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, that was a GREAT explanation, buzz! I missed it the first time you posted it, so thanks!

I will give the reverse sear a try.

Lee

Constance

DH did the cooking. He started the chops at 350, but decided they were cooking too slowly, so he turned the temp up to 375. I don't remember how long they were in...he checked the temp with the meat thermometer so they would get overcooked.

I wanted him to cook them at 400, but he thought they might burn at that temp.