Three Meat Burgers

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Why settle for plain ole ground meat from the store when you can grind it fresh yourself? Many of us have a Food Processor but only think of it when it comes to chopping vegetables or making Cole Slaw.

However, you CAN grind meat with it! In this recipe I use three meats: Beef, Pork, and Lamb. The flavor is outstanding and beats any prepackaged ground meat I’ve ever had. So drag out your Food Processors and put them to work! Don’t settle for plain ground meat when you can mix meats, add flavors, and let your creativity and imagination come through.

Three Meat Burger

Ingredients
3/4 lb Beef (Stew Meat, Steak, Roast, etc), cubed
3/4 lb Pork (Stew Meat, Chop, Loin, etc), cubed
3/4 lb Lamb (Stew Meat, Chop, etc), cubed
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp A1 sauce
2 tsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Procedure
All of the meat should be cut into 3/4” boneless cubes. The idea here is that you’ll grind your own meat. You can do this in a food processor with the regular chopping blade. Do it in batches; about 1 lb per batch.

Add 1 lb of the meat to the food processor. Now add 1 Tbsp of the W-Sauce, 1 tsp of the A1, and 1 tsp of Olive Oil. Add salt and pepper to your preference, then pulse and grind until smooth.

When you do the next batch, start by adding your onion and garlic first so that it gets hit by the blades first. Then add your meat, sauces, Olive Oil, and salt and pepper as before. Pulse and grind till smooth.

In a large bowl, combine the two batches of ground meat and mix thoroughly by hand. As you do this, check for any pieces that didn’t grind out smoothly, especially connective tissue or hard chunks of fat.

Once the meat is thoroughly mixed and smooth, make your patties. AT this point, I like to put the patties in the fridge to firm up (the heat from your hands melts the fat in the meat). As they are sitting in the fridge, go start your coals for your grill (if you’re grilling that is).

Now cook the burgers in your favorite manner. Mine is to grill over hot coals. Roughly about 5-6 minutes per side. Finally, make your burger with your favorite toppings.

Notes
You can use any cut of beef, pork, and lamb for this. Stew meat is a really economical option with good flavor, but you have to beware bits of sinew that are tough and will not grind up. After grinding your meat, mix it all well with your hands and check for tough sinewy chunks and slivers. Try to get them all out for the smoothest burger possible.

If you use a high quality cut, then you don’t really have to worry about this.

I did see Lamb Stew meat today, but it was about 1.50 more than those chops, so I decided to try them. In the end, after boning the meat, I think I’d been better off getting the stew meat. So consider that. If you get bone in meat, you have a bit of work to do in order to bone it, and the amount of meat goes down while sinewy tissue stands to go up.

Hmmm…..this one is Beef, Lamb, and Pork. Maybe I should call it the Blork Burger???

The Meats.
Step_1-72.jpg

Step_2-71.jpg

Step_3-64.jpg

Here’s how the Lamb looks after being boned.
Step_4-59.jpg

Here’s all three meats ready for the food processor.
Step_5-52.jpg

It’s all ground.
Step_6-46.jpg

The patties are ready for the grill.
Step_7-37.jpg

Off the grill and ready to be built.
Step_8-28.jpg

Build your burger to your liking!
Step_9-23.jpg

Step_9a-11.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds super and wonderful photography as always. I don't own a meat grinder but everyone owns a food processor.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't told DW that there is Lamb in these yet, so shhhhhhhhh!!! :yum:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i have a meat grinder attachment for my KA. my question is don't you need more fat? those cuts seem pretty lean.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
They are lean, but you don't have to grill them forever, about 5 minutes (or less) per side so they are just past medium. Then the moisture from the lettuce, tomato, mayo etc, kicks in as well.

But yeah, I'm thinking of ways to add more fat anyway. I'm wondering about adding a dollop of Crisco to the food processor. I've used fatty pork before, and even added bacon, but it's still no where near the fat content of store bought ground beef.

chowhound

I've been meaning to try these. I saw AB grind his own burger one time and he added lamb. Good pics.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
They are lean, but you don't have to grill them forever, about 5 minutes (or less) per side so they are just past medium. Then the moisture from the lettuce, tomato, mayo etc, kicks in as well.

But yeah, I'm thinking of ways to add more fat anyway. I'm wondering about adding a dollop of Crisco to the food processor. I've used fatty pork before, and even added bacon, but it's still no where near the fat content of store bought ground beef.
how about using some chuck steak?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
looks magnificent! I ground my own meat once..but never got motivated to do it again. Your result looks stellar. I want some.