Grilling recipes that DON'T require any marinating ...

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Can we share recipes for foods to be cooked on the grill that don't need any marinating time?

Right now, I'm getting home from the gym after 2 PM and we grill around 5 or so, and I find I just can't "get it together" in enough time to get a marinade going.

thanks.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
marinades and "pre-seasoning" just adds a flavor dimension to the meat - beef / chicken / whatever.

for many years I simply hit 'em with salt&pepper & plopped them on the grill, no problem.
on a good cut of beef - well marbled for example - you might not even notice a difference.

besides, that's what they make bbq sauce for (g) grill, then sauce - you can sauce & return to the grill for a short period - that will help pick up some smokey flavors - but if you do this, 'under grill' to account for the sauced time.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
There are lots of rubs you can use too.

Here's my favorite rub for chicken:

4 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoning Salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I don't usually marinate. I mostly do what Mama does. I take whatever meat out rub with oil of choice (EVOO, canola, flax seed, grape seed or a combo of 2 or more of those), garlic powder, onion powder, Goya adobo seasoning, accent, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, ground red pepper flakes, cayenne, Hungarian hot paprika, ground thyme and ground rosemary. (For poultry I sometimes add poulrty seasoning to the rub) Rub in well for chicken (poultry) other meats I rub then use a 2 tined cooking fork and pierce the meat well on both sides. Then let sit till the coals are ready or I get the rest of the parts of the meal prepped if cooking inside.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I almost never marinate anything but chicken breasts, steak tips and lamb tips.

Pretty much everything else, I may season with herbs and spices, and maybe add a finishing sauce at the the end.

Such as: Sausages/kielbasa, any kind of bone-in, skin-on chicken, burgers, hot dogs, tender cuts of steak/beef, pork chops, pork loin, and lamb chops.

Not marinating usually gives a better char to the meat, too.

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
If you do the rub, don't baste at all...you'll wash the rub off!

When I'm in the mood for grilled onions, red peppers, mushrooms and eggplant I make a wash of olive oil, balsamic, minced garlic, sugar, oregano and S&P. Before placing each vegetable on the grill, dip it into the wash. Grill one side, turn, and mop the wash onto the other side. If you make enough, you can keep it in the fridge for awhile, having enough for the next time you want the flavour without time to spare.:applause:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I do not always use rubs or marinades. Often I will use a commercial glaze, or a homemade basting sauce.

GotGarlic

My favorite way to make grilled pork chops is to mix a couple tbsp. Dijon mustard with a half tsp. crumbled dried thyme. Sprinkle the chops with S&P, brush with the mustard mixture and grill. After turning, place a rosemary sprig on top.

I don't marinate fish or shrimp - just serve with a sauce. Remoulade or aioli for dipping is yummy.

Mr. Green Jeans

Place a salmon fillet on a piece of oiled HD foil large enough to fully wrap it in. Hit with S&P and a light sprinkle of dried dill. then layer in order: thin sliced onion, pepper mushroom and seeded tomato. Another dash of seasoning and seal up. Place on medium heat for about 25 - 30 minutes.

Place a salmon fillet on a piece of oiled HD foil large enough to fully wrap it in. Hit with S&P and a light sprinkle of dried dill. then layer in order: thin sliced onion, pepper mushroom and seeded tomato. Another dash of seasoning and seal up. Place on medium heat for about 25 - 30 minutes.

I like salmon that way, as well. You can add fresh lemon juice & some dill or white wine, sliced zuchinni & halved cherry tomatoes - or lime juice. Serve it over rice of choice. Sometimes, less is more for me. Teriyaki sauce & honey w/ grilled pineapple rings is tasty too.

Mr. Green Jeans

I like salmon that way, as well. You can add fresh lemon juice & some dill or white wine, sliced zuchinni & halved cherry tomatoes - or lime juice. Serve it over rice of choice. Sometimes, less is more for me. Teriyaki sauce & honey w/ grilled pineapple rings is tasty too.

Absolutely! I just heard a new wrinkle to this; a thin layer of mayo topped with Johnny's Seasoned Salt (its a West Coast thing) then the veggies.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
DGH does the grilling and he's always brushes the meat and chicken with either oil or the marinade to whatever we're grilling. Is that wrong ?

QuirkyCookery

I rarely marinade for grilling, but when I do, it's pretty much always an overnight thing (or something I put together before work in the morning so it's ready that evening when I get in).

This peach & apricot baste/glaze looks tasty. I may give it a go w/ chicken breasts (& Apple Cabbage Slaw w/ Poppy Seed Dressing.)

Peach, Apricot & Balsamic Glazed Drumsticks
{Serves 4-6}

1 pkg of 8 Chicken Drumsticks
1/2 cup Apricot Peach Preserves
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Ginger, grated
A pinch of Cayenne
Kosher Salt, to taste

Pre-heat grill to medium-low. Then in a large bowl, combine the preserves, vinegar, grated fresh ginger, cayenne, and kosher salt {more or less to taste. Reserve 1/4 cup of the glaze mixture. Add the chicken drumsticks to the bowl and toss to coat. Grill chicken, covered, turning occasionally. Cooked all the way through, 25 to 30 minutes, basting with reserved glaze mixture in the last 10 minutes of cooking.

http://www.simplyscratch.com/2011/06/peach-apricot-balsamic-glazed.html

http://www.simplyscratch.com/2011/06/apple-cabbage-slaw.html

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Grilled Lemon Potatoes
2 pounds Fingerling or Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 lemons, zest of both, juice of 1
1 teaspoon sugar
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
----
Parboil potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes; drain, then transfer to large bowl.
In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon zest and juice, sugar, salt, and pepper; pour over potatoes. Toss to coat evenly.

Using two sheets aluminum foil, create cooking tray for potatoes. Lay one sheet on top of the other and fold sides up. Put empty tray on grill and pour in coated potatoes. Cover grill.
Grill over medium-hot coals for 30 to 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Remove from grill and serve immediately. Yields 4 to 6 servings
http://www.grit.com/food/recipes/grilled-lemon-potatoes-recipe.aspx

GRT-JA11-fire-salmon-keb.jpg

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Help. I thought we'd try a rub but I freaked out a little and added a little olive oil so the meat wouldn't stick to the grill.

It had almost NO taste. :( Is a rub not for us? Is rubbed meat that's grilled sort of dry and leathery ?

GotGarlic

What kind of meat did you use? What was in the rub? How much of it did you use on the meat?

Meat that is dry and leathery is usually overcooked; I doubt it's related to the rub. When I use a rub, I put it on the meat with no oil, let it sit for a while - a half hour or so - then oil it lightly and grill.

High Cheese

Saucier
My jerk wing recipe can be marinated or not. If you don't marinade them, just save some 'clean' marinade to baste the meat with during cooking. I modified a recipe I found online, made it probobly 8 times in the last 2 months. haha

High Cheese Jerk Wings

3 scallions, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons of minced ginger
5 habaneros, stemmed and seeded
the juice of 4 limes and the zest from 2
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

combine everything and put in a blender for a few seconds...or not. Just make finer cuts then...maybe hit it with a motar/pestle. Seperate the wings from the drumettes, and marinade in a bowl for 15-20 minutes. When you mix the marinade and the wings you better wear some gloves! If you don't want to marinade, just toss the wings with the sauce, but keep some of the sauce to baste the wings near the end of the cooking process. Thefirst time I made these, they never made it into the house.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Cheese. We'll have to try these for sure. :thumb:

There's always beer can chicken, or chicken dinner cooked in a bundt pan on the grill. Try a search on the www. I make kebabs on my indoor grill. Cut up your protein & veggies, & marinate the protein in the fridge before you leave in the morning. If you're a brat fan, go to Johnsonville's site, & check out the brat hot tub (beer/brats/onions/butter).

Another idea (reminds me of schwarma), you could adapt for the grill - Armenian Beef Kebabs...

http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Armenian-Beef-Kebabs-Recipe

Last edited: