1/4 cup yogurt
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 roasted red pepper peeled
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 tbs chopped parsley for garnish
black olives for garnish

Roast a red pepper under the broiler until charred. Then place in a plate and cover with plastic so pepper is steamed for ten minutes so that you can peel and de-seed the pepper. You can also purchase the red pepper already roasted. In a food processor add the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, red pepper, yogurt, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt then blend well for 1 minute. Next add the tahini, olive oil and blend until well combined. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, olives and olive oil. Serve with pita, crackers or chips.
This can also be stored in a tupperware in the refrigerator for about a week.

homecook

I love this stuff!!! I've never made it myself but now I think I'll give it a go.......thanks Dee!!

Barb

buckytom

Grill Master
yum, thanks dee. i love red pepper hummus.

dw picks up a store brand i really like, but it's hard to find. i'd like to try making it.

do you know the song about it?

Deelady

uhhhh..the song about it??No BT, please, sing it for us!!! lol

Hope you guys like it....all three hummus recipes are from a very reliable source,not just some random site! ;)
Let me know how you like!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Ok, you asked for feedback so here it is. I just finished making the roaster red pepper hummus recipe, taking a little artistic license along the way. I made my own Tahini paste by toasting sesame seeds (I always have them on hand for my breads) and putting them in the mini chopper with a bit of olive oil. This made a VERY tasty mix which I put in a small jar in the the fridge. Because the Tahini flavor was so dominant, I just started with 1T of the Tahini with the beans, and that was just fine for the sesame flavor. I cannot imagine using 1/2C of the stuff, unless the commercial paste is less flavorful.

I used finely chopped grlic, lemon juice from a jar, fire roasted red peppers from a jar, and substituted smokey paprika for the cuyenne pepper. I didn't have any yogurt so I just left that out. It came out very tasty, and when I serve it I will put some diced fire roasted red pepper in the center of the plate, and some sliced black olives.

I was planning on making 100% whole wheat Roti bread (unleaven) for the hummus, but I'm not sure if Naan bread (leavened) would be better. Anyone have any personal preference? I've made both breads before, but I've never made or served this appy, so i'm just taking a shot at it. The Naan will be a heavier bread, and the Roti is thin and light. Then the other question is, ghee or no ghee when the bread is done cooking?

I'll bet whatever I do that nobody will be any the wiser, and they'll just eat it until its gone. Then there's the apple pie......

Here's the Hummus:

RedPepperHummus.jpg

GotGarlic

I love roasted red pepper hummus. My recipe is similar but includes 1/2 tsp. each of ground cumin and coriander.

Joe, I love to serve mine with a delicious sun-dried tomato sourdough from a local grocery store, but I think it would be great with toasted pita or naan as well. I don't think I've had Roti, so can't advise you there. Still, it's such a tasty dip, I'm not sure the vehicle matters much, as long as it doesn't overpower the flavor. I wouldn't use an olive bread, for example.

Deelady

Looks great Joe! Glad you are enjoying it. As far as the tahini goes I have used the canned before and it does have a more mild flavor so that is prob the reason it was 1/2 cup.
I love any bread to go with it although I usually buy pita from a middle eastern shop near me, its freshly made and very soft! But I also love using veggies and crackers for my hummus.

May I ask why you decided to use jared lemon juice but made the tahini from scratch? Jarred lemon juice to me just does not have the same flavor at all.
Let us know what you decided to serve it with:a1: