Tzatziki Sauce or Dip

GotGarlic

Tzatziki Sauce or Dip

3 cups plain yogurt, or 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (preferred)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into pieces that will fit into the food processor chute (if using; can also use a box grater)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh dill, minced fine
1 tsp. fresh mint, cut into chiffonade
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste

If using regular yogurt, place yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a bowl; put bowl, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour to drain excess liquid. If using Greek yogurt, this step is not necessary.

Shred the cucumber in the food processor or with a box grater and place in a medium bowl; set aside while preparing the rest of the ingredients.

In a large bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, oil, vinegar, herbs and salt. Drain excess water from cucumbers, squeezing to remove as much as possible, then add them to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Place in a serving dish, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, to allow the flavors to mingle and make friends :smile:

Use as a sauce for kibbee, gyros or souvlaki, or as a dip for pita chips and raw veggies.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made tzatziki to go with some grilled lamb sausages, pita and Greek salad for dinner.

My recipe is very similar to the one that GotGarlic posted, which is very similar to the one in my copy of the original Frugal Gourmet's cookbook.

I DO drain Greek yogurt in cheesecloth for at least several hours at room temp, to get rid of some water. I do the same with the grated cucumber.

I omit the vinegar. I didn't add mint, but I wish I had!

Good stuff!

Lee

Attachments

• Lamb sausage and tzatziki.JPG
    Lamb sausage and tzatziki.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Greek salad.JPG
    Greek salad.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 96