Allen’s Fantastic Apple Crisp

AllenOK

Allen’s Fantastic Apple Crisp
Makes: one 9 x 13” pan

I like to use a mix of Granny Smith and Macintosh apples for this one. It provides a balance between taste and texture. If you can find some really good-sized apples, you may want to go down to 7 apples. Also, if the juice or cider is really sweet, you may want to reduce it down to ½ c. Ice cream would go great with this dessert.

1 c all-purpose flour
¼ t baking powder
¼ t baking soda
1 c packed brown sugar
1 c quick-cooking oats
8 T (1 stick) butter, softened
9 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
¾ c white sugar
1 T all-purpose flour
1 t ground cinnamon
½ c apple juice
-or- apple cider

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Sift together 1 c of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, oats, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or your hands. It should have a mealy texture, similar to coarse sand. Set aside.
Mix the white sugar, 1 T flour, and ground cinnamon together, and toss with the apples. Place the sliced apples in a 9 x 13” pan. Pour the juice or cider evenly over all. Crumble the streusel topping evenly over the apple mixture. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 45 minutes.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Is there a particular kind of apples you use for this? It sounds really good Allen!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
You can also sub water for the apple juice or cider and it will turn out just fine. Apple crisp is one of my favorite things. As for apples, my mom used rome. Although any apple that gets soft when it cooks will do.