Wood stove baked potatoes

BigAl

We lose our power in the Idaho back country quite often . One night as the wife was grilling steaks on the bar-B-que we lost our power . She had planned on bake potatoes too . I double wrapped them in tin foil and laid them in the coals of our wood stove . I then spinkled more hot coals over the top . 30 minutes later we had perfectly cooked potatoes . My wife and FIL still say they were the best they ever tasted .Try it ...

bdavis

In the summertime we like to Barbeque quite a bit. We'll dice up some potatoes into bite size chunks, place them in an older pan, coat them with butter, then sprinkle them with an assortment of spices. We'll put some tin foil over the pan and place it on the top rack of the BBQ for 20 or so mins. While those are cooking, we'll also open up a can of mushrooms, slice up some onion, wrap it in tin foil with bbq sauce and put that on too. Then we'll through some steaks on. Makes a great meal when the power's out!

Last edited:

RNE228

I While those are cooking, we'll also open up a can of mushrooms, slice up some onion, wrap it in tin foil with bbq sauce and put that on too. Then we'll through some steaks on. Makes a great meal when the power's out!

We like to foil wrap veggies when we grill. In the summer, it keeps all the cooking outside, and the house stays cool:tiphat:

We'll slice some onion real thing, or some shallots. A little minced garlic... Some thin sliced potatoes, thick chunks of crook neck or summer squash, garden fresh asparagus etc. A small dab of margarine, maybe a little soy sauce, wrap and seal in foil, and toss on the grill. Yum!

Linda1946

We like to foil wrap veggies when we grill. In the summer, it keeps all the cooking outside, and the house stays cool:tiphat:

We'll slice some onion real thing, or some shallots. A little minced garlic... Some thin sliced potatoes, thick chunks of crook neck or summer squash, garden fresh asparagus etc. A small dab of margarine, maybe a little soy sauce, wrap and seal in foil, and toss on the grill. Yum!

I do a similar thing. I take whatever fresh veggies I have, potatoes, carrots, green beans, broccoli, red and/or green peppers, onions, cut into bite size pieces, toss in a bit of lovely butter and some fresh or dried basil, salt & pepper, close and seal the foil, put on the barbecue shelf above the grill. Wonderful!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good ideas. We have done corn that way. Butter it up wrap it in foil and then add just a wee bit of water for steam. About 7 minutes a side. Works great.
Our SIL showed us how he cooks a whole onion on the grill that way also and it comes out good.
I can't wait for better weather and cook outs. We cook out once in a while during the winter but much more often in warmer weather.