AllenOK

Big Al’s Rockin’ Rueben Sandwich
Yields: 1 sandwich

6 oz thinly sliced corned beef
¼ c sauerkraut
2 slices Swiss cheese
-or- Provolone cheese
2 slices good rye bread, preferably the swirled light and dark rye
Thousand Island salad dressing (traditional)
-or- French salad dressing (what I prefer)
Margarine

Heat a large cast iron skillet or a griddle. Spread one side of each slice of bread with margarine. Place the sauerkraut onto the pan or griddle, and spread it out so that it’s the same basic size as the bread. Layer the corned beef over the sauerkraut and cook for a minute or so, letting the juices of the sauerkraut steam the beef (if it gets to dry, add a little more liquid from the sauerkraut). Place the bread, buttered side down, into the pan or griddle, and place one slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Once the cheese starts to melt, carefully, using a large spatula, lift up the sauerkraut/beef up and place it on one piece of bread, trying not to disturb the cabbage and/or beef to much. Flip the other piece of bread over and place it onto the sandwich. If the bread needs another minute or so to toast, let it.
*NOTES: This sandwich is traditionally served with Thousand Island, on the side. I prefer to squirt a little French dressing onto the corned beef when I start to assemble the sandwich.

PanchoHambre

Re: Big Al’s Rockin’ Rueben Sandwich

Oh man I love Rueben's!!!!

Thanks dude!!

me too... I get one every time I go home to NY from my favorite Deli

I will not get them anywhere I don't have faith in though...

French Dessing is interesting... I would be willing to give it a try... I am a purist.. you should have seen me when I got one slathered in Yellow Mustard:puke1:

This is a frustrating place to be!! All I am having for supper is a Baked Sweet Potato, and as good as it is, it cant quite compete with this !!!!

Big Al’s Rockin’ Rueben Sandwich
Yields: 1 sandwich

6 oz thinly sliced corned beef
¼ c sauerkraut
2 slices Swiss cheese
-or- Provolone cheese
2 slices good rye bread, preferably the swirled light and dark rye
Thousand Island salad dressing (traditional)
-or- French salad dressing (what I prefer)
Margarine

Heat a large cast iron skillet or a griddle. Spread one side of each slice of bread with margarine. Place the sauerkraut onto the pan or griddle, and spread it out so that it’s the same basic size as the bread. Layer the corned beef over the sauerkraut and cook for a minute or so, letting the juices of the sauerkraut steam the beef (if it gets to dry, add a little more liquid from the sauerkraut). Place the bread, buttered side down, into the pan or griddle, and place one slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Once the cheese starts to melt, carefully, using a large spatula, lift up the sauerkraut/beef up and place it on one piece of bread, trying not to disturb the cabbage and/or beef to much. Flip the other piece of bread over and place it onto the sandwich. If the bread needs another minute or so to toast, let it.
*NOTES: This sandwich is traditionally served with Thousand Island, on the side. I prefer to squirt a little French dressing onto the corned beef when I start to assemble the sandwich.

PanchoHambre

Oh, the sacriledge! Isn't that illegal in most states?

it should be! Yellow mustard is fear factor stuff for me... and I got the thing home before I opened it. Had to choke the sucker down. And this was from the best deli in my hometown... they must have slipped but now I always make sure to be more descriptive than necessary when ordering.

Sometimes you feel like a fool for stating the obvious, but then sure as you dont, you will get something so stupid you never in a million years would have thought they would do .....

"And this was from the best deli in my hometown... they must have slipped but now I always make sure to be more descriptive than necessary when ordering."

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter

me too... I get one every time I go home to NY from my favorite Deli

Rueben's are my favorite sandwich ever!! Where in NY do you go? I found a place in Nashville, TN called the "Noshville" - best corned beef in the world!!:heart:

PanchoHambre

Sometimes you feel like a fool for stating the obvious, but then sure as you dont, you will get something so stupid you never in a million years would have thought they would do .....

LOL True and since I am not a complainer I almost never send things back... I am a boycotter though when I lived in New Haven Ct, possibly the rudest place on earth, I was boycotting about half the establishments there within a year.

Rueben's are my favorite sandwich ever!! Where in NY do you go? I found a place in Nashville, TN called the "Noshville" - best corned beef in the world!!:heart:

MMM I love Reubens too. My favoirte delis are actually the local ones in the suburbs my parents live in They have heavy repeat clientle who are very picky and used to having thier every need catered too so they are really good (the two have the same name Langes but are no longer under the same ownership) One of them though did produce the offending mustard reuben.:shock:

When I lived and worked in the City many of the Midtown delis were good as long as you stayed away from the tourist joints.

Your best bet is a local deli in a predominantly Jewish neigborhood though. I lived in Queens and your best bet was eating by ethnicity of neighborhood. Greek in Astoria, Jewish in Rego Park of Forest Hills, Irish in Woodside, Indian in Jackson Heights, Italian in Howard Beach etc.

I have not dared order one in the year I have lived in Phllly! I need to find out where. Definitley not Center City and Definitley not my neighborhood or the trendy yuppie suburb where I work.

AllenOK

I have not dared order one in the year I have lived in Phllly! I need to find out where. Definitley not Center City and Definitley not my neighborhood or the trendy yuppie suburb where I work.

That's why I posted the recipe. If I was unable to enjoy a good Rueben at a restaurant somewhere, I'd resort to making my own.

However, Ruebens are on the menu at work. Guess what I have about once a month? :whistling:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I might give the French Dressing a try, but I most definitely love Thousand Island on it! Maybe next time I make them I will make one extra with French Dressing on it.

PanchoHambre

That's why I posted the recipe. If I was unable to enjoy a good Rueben at a restaurant somewhere, I'd resort to making my own.

However, Ruebens are on the menu at work. Guess what I have about once a month? :whistling:

and St. Pat's is coming up quick... maybe I will make an extra CB this year.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Which kind of bread do you guys prefer for your Rueben's - Caraway rye, marbled rye or pumpernickle ?? I've had it all three ways and caraway is still my favorite :eek:)

PanchoHambre

Which kind of bread do you guys prefer for your Rueben's - Caraway rye, marbled rye or pumpernickle ?? I've had it all three ways and caraway is still my favorite :eek:)

I like Caraway for Reubens best

Pumpernickel is my choice for the other sandwich I order which is turkey/rb/swiss/coleslaw/russian

buckytom

Grill Master

good stuuf, allen. thanks.

i'm a reuben purist as well. the ONLY two things that are debatable are the choice of meat, (corned beef or pastrami) and whether it's open faced or a true sandwich. i prefer pastrami, and open faced.

provolone? for shame!!!!! :no:

buttered toasted caraway rye, topped with sauerkraut and pastrami/corned beef (steamed like allen instructed), then slathered with thousand island, topped with swiss which is melted under a broiler. mustard goes on top, if you want to get crazy about it.

AllenOK

The steakhouse I worked at in Michigan used a swirled light and dark rye. Basically, a gob of light rye dough, and gob of dark rye dough, rolled into a pinwheel, then baked. I just finally convince the Chef to switch over to a marbled rye down here in OK. Unfortunately, it's a different brand, and it looks different. It's more finely-grained in the marbling, and more dark rye than light.

Personally, I prefer a good, marbled rye. If I can't get that, then a light rye or caraway rye will work just as well.