Left out the beef stock

chowhound

I opened up a new container of beef stock last night, used some, put the cap back on and forgot to put it in the fridge. What say you, keep it or can it?

Calicolady

I would heat it to boil, lower heat for 3-4 mins., then refridgerate.
But that's just me, and I'm not feeding anyone else.
I've left soup to cool on stove overnight. It' was hot for hours before reaching room temp to refridge. I've never had a problem.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
With all the salt in these stocks, they could probably sit out for 3 days and not go bad. Boil, cool and refrigerate.

chowhound

Great, thanks. I hadn't thought about boiling it.
Now if I don't forget to refrigerate it after it cools....

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Great, thanks. I hadn't thought about boiling it.
Now if I don't forget to refrigerate it after it cools....
Set a timer somewhere for 2 hours after you remove it from the heat. It should be fine at that point to put in the fridge. Timers are the friends of people with CRS (myself included). I like to use my microwave timer because it won't shut up until I silence it. My stove timer has an intermittent alarm.

chowhound

I've got CHS, so unless I'm in the kitchen watching the timer, I usually don't hear them. And since I'll be working outside today, I probably wouln't hear the one on my cell phone either. Great idea though.

Wart

Banned
What?

I have a Graylab darkroom timer. Damned annoying buzzer. Only times up to an hour.

For longer than an hour I use the timer in the probe thermometer, it's chirp is so annoying I watch the clock so I can shut off the timer before it makes noise.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't use the canned stocks any more but have gone to the carton type low sodium Swanson's brand. These will keep for a while in the refrigerator even after opened. I haven't ever left out though once opened when I get the amount I want it goes straight to the frig. I usually have a couple of beef, chicken and vegetable stocks on hand all the time in my pantry.

chowhound

A thought struck me while I was outside. Luckily it hit me in the head, so it didn't hurt.
Since the only use I have for stock is gravies, soups and other things that I bring to a boil.... Do I really need to boil it ahead of time? It's going to get boiled before it goes in my body anyway. I think I'm going to just leave it in the fridge, now that it's in there.

JoeC. 14 days. It says so right on the carton. I always write the date I opened it on the carton to keep track.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is 14 days once opened if I'm correct which mine rarely get any where near.

Wart

Banned
A thought struck me while I was outside. Luckily it hit me in the head, so it didn't hurt.
Since the only use I have for stock is gravies, soups and other things that I bring to a boil.... Do I really need to boil it ahead of time?

First, if it were I, I would toss it. {omitting thoughts on pre packaged broths}

Yes, boil it before you put it in the cooler.

Refrigeration does not stop growth, only inhibits it.

What leaving it on the counter overnight did was give the bacteria a head start. You need to kill it, or as much of it as you can.

The rule of thumb is, 4 hours above 40 degrees or a week in the fridge, Doing KIS math, the 4 hours on the counter aged it a week.

And you know, bacteria don't reproduce lineally, they reproduce geometrically.

:puke1: