I guess pumpkin has to be refrigerated, huh ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I made some pumpkin cornbread on Friday. To use up the can of pumpkin, half went into a cake which stayed on the counter, and the other half went into muffins which I froze.

Yesterday, I bit into a piece, and something tasted bad so I spit it out. Today, I tried to eat another piece and it was worse.

There are no viable mold spores, but is that what I assumed happened - the pumpkin went bad?

Thanks.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm, CM - I might have expected it to dried out or stale, but I'm surprised it was ... rotten???

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we fridge pumpkin pie. i've not seen other foods using it refrigerated, except fer 1, & 'at has creamcheese frosting swirled thru it.
pumpkin cookies, seeds, & other items stay on the table/counter in my family.

could be that it was another ingredient in the cake, maybe as subtle as a baking agent. (i've made meringues that were bitter before). could u list the ingredients--

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
white flour
whole wheat flour
baking powder
salt
cornmeal
eggs
canned pumpkin
brown sugar
oil
molasses

Baked on Friday, tasted fine for the first few days. It was on Tuesday that I tasted something spit-out-horrible.

Thanks !

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>fine on Friday but Tuesday....

ah. there's the clue. eggs & pumpkin, sounds a bit like a custard consistency - definitely not a room temp storer. . . .