Tamale Pie

KKsMom

Blond Member
Hopefully this is in the right thread...

Ingredients:
2 cups corn, fresh, frozen or canned
1 1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
8 cups tortilla chips
3 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey (you can use leftovers for this part... or even the canned stuff)
3 cups chopped tomato
2 1/2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cornmeal

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. If you are using fresh or frozen corn, steam over simmering water for 1-2 minutes, or until cooked but still firm.
3. If using canned cornm drain
4. In a bowl, mix the corn, bell papers and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper
5. Line a large casserole or baking dish with tortilla chips, making sure the bottom is completely covered
6. Top with all of the chicken/turkey, then half of the tomatoes and half of the cheese
7. Layer reamining chips, then the corn mixture and the rest of the tomatoes on top
8. Sprinkle with cornmeal and the other half of the cheese
9. Cover caserole and bake for 25 minutes
10. Remove caserole and place the dish under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and the cornmeal crust turn golden brown
11. Cut and serve like lasagna
12. Serve accompaniments in seperate bowls

I have not made this yet, nor have I ever had a tamale pie. If any of you know what accompaniments this might take, please let me know. I am thinking, maybe sourcream??? But then again, sour cream is good on practically anything :whistling:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds a little bland to this former Texan :hide:

How about a little garlic, tablespoon or so of fajita seasoning, tablespoon of ground cumin, and a little chile powder?

For toppings, Sour Cream, guacamole dip, and/or Pace Picante Sauce to heat it up a little.

Locutus

You know me and garlic. I put garlic in everything! (Well, maybe not my peanut butter sandwiches :whistling:)

Ahhhh...... I thought me sainted mother was the only one that made Tamale Pie! :wink:

I love it, but I make it with pulled pork, corn meal and HOT green chilis!