Any melt in your mouth Butt recipes??

joec

Gold Site Supporter
whn yo ak ky board js wn o will b back shorly I ho dW js wn o walar o oick anohr board

Sorry about that folks the keyboard on my computer just gave up the ghost. Wife is on her way to WalMart to pick up another and I'm on the office machine.

What I was going to say is set the unused mix aside in a spice jar or a good glass jar for other uses if you don't use it all. But with a 4 lb butt you might need to double the recipe as we can usually do a couple of pork loins with a batch as well as baked beans and other things.

Last edited:
If you want something a little different, here's one idea for chinese roast pork/char siu. If you have any leftovers, you could make the Chinese steamed buns recipe I posted under Ethnic.

http://www.whats4eats.com/meats/char-siu-recipe

I have a recipe for pork & peaches - in the slow cooker...

And another for Cuban sandwiches

And Thomas Keller's CP Cassoulet.

Lemmo know.

Have you ever made arepas? You can fill them w the pork, add guacamole etc.

Deelady

No I've never made Arepas, but I was contemplating pork tamales or enchiladas. I have a recipe for an enchilada I make that has a roasted tomatillo sauce on top and I think that would go GREAT with the pork (I usually use chicken).
But I am still leaning towards just roasting it and serving it with sides.....I really need to do the least amount of prep work, at 8 months pregnant I can't be standing too long ;)

Deelady

I ended up putting Joe's rub on it the night before and placing it in a crock pot the next morning with halved onions under it...no liquid.
It came out absolutely perfect! The flavor was point on, it produced so much of its own liquid I just had to freeze it afterward! It HAS to be good for something later!! :D The roast was incredibly tender and moist! Would not change a thing about it! Thank you all for the tips and thank you Joe for that great rub recipe! I used the first one except added ground mustard to it.

And FYI...the last plate was just some of the left overs and not my plating!! ;)

Attachments

• Wedding 267.jpg
    Wedding 267.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Wedding 286.jpg
    Wedding 286.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Wedding 284.jpg
    Wedding 284.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 108

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Glad you liked the rub and one of my favorite pork rubs as well as baked bean seasoning. I have also used mustard on it when smoking it over the rub as well as added powdered mustard to the mix. It depends on my mood at the time I'm making it. I like the powder mustard in the baked beans made with it especially with the peach pie filling.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you want something a little different, here's one idea for chinese roast pork/char siu. If you have any leftovers, you could make the Chinese steamed buns recipe I posted under Ethnic.

http://www.whats4eats.com/meats/char-siu-recipe

I have made char siu pork loin, ribs, and country-style ribs many times (I LOVE char siu!), but never with a butt.

Since the marinade is just on the surface, and there is a low surface-to-inside ratio, I think I would toss the pork with some of the cooked marinade after pulling the meat.

I'm liking the idea, Cal!

What do you think?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I used JoeC's rub on 10# of butts, then drizzled molasses on top and let it marinate for 6 hours in the fridge.

P1020328.jpg

I then put the cold, covered pot right into a 225F oven at 10 p.m., and removed it at 8 a.m. the following morning.

P1020329.jpg

Allowed it to rest for an hour while I had breakfast and cleaned up the dishes...

P1020332.jpg

...then shredded it all and drowned it in a large bottle of SBR Original. EXCELLENT!

P1020336.jpg

There, now you know all about my butt(s).:yum: