Winter Garden

Leni

It's time to plant my winter garden. So far I have planted peas, lettuce, chard, broccoli, and cauliflower. I plan to also plant radishes, cabbage, beets, turnips, and whatever else strikes my fancy. What are you planting?

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I have tomatoes,green peppers,stevia and a bunch of herbs growing in the greenhouses. Strawberries in the other one are just starting to bloom as are some of the tomatoes and peppers. It has taken a bunch of wood with the wind lately to keep them warm in cold temps.

Leni

I have various herbs growing in the herb garden just outside my kitchen door. I had a greenhouse at one point but an earthquake took care of it. Northridge broke the ridge pole.

Leni

What snow? I live in SoCal in the San Fernando Valley. We do get some frost but every so many years we do get snow. I can remember three times when it snowed here. Once was when I was around five, another time when I was in Jr High School, and the last time was many years ago. I do have to protect my plants from freezing a few nights a year. I love the fact that if I want snow I can go to the mountains. I can go to the beach the same day. As Vince Scully once put it, I can go to the beach, ski, and then to the desert and then to a Dodgers game in the same day if I chose to.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Leni
I have small winter garden compared to yours. Some tomatoes left from our late heat, onions, chard, spinach and of course parsley and various peppers and chives. Love having year round garden and so do the grand kids.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Not trying to go off topic, but I thought that THIS was the only Winter Garden. :biggrin:

Attachments

• wfc-6201.jpg
    wfc-6201.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 229

Leni

I picked some spinach toaday amd made a spinach and fresh mushroom omelet. I added in some onion and parmesan cheese.

Leni

Today it was in the very low 60's and overcast. I went to the garden and planted broccoli, cauliflower and vidalia onions. Didn't get to the potatoes because it was starting to mist.

I've got a lot of winter rye sprouting. I also saw a dead Monarch butterfly close to a volunteer milkweed plant that I was going to dig out. Then I saw six Monarch caterpillers on it. So much for that idea.

It did freeze over the last few nights. So much for my pepper plants.

What's everyone else doing in the garden these days?

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
We will be getting seeds started shortly. She has a list of dates to get things going for transplant in the spring. Now she wants me to build some heated seed beds inside the heated greenhouse that is already too full of posies. How many frigging geraniums does one woman need?:confused:

Leni

So far most of my plants have survived the cold. My peppers took a hit but then they are a summer veggie. They may come back. I've had the same plants for a couple of years now. Everything else is doing just fine.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I still have spinach, chard, peppers, onions. Really chilly here over the weekend and we had a party friday night with 85 people. Even with heaters too cold outside.

Rented a jute box and that kept everyone warm :)

PanchoHambre

If i post anything about starting seeds somebody punch me in the nose - I promised myself NEVER AGAIN. I am starting to get itchy about the garden though. Right now there are a couple scraggly lettuce and some sage and rosemary - have to start working on a plan of attack - last year was not very good.

pharmerphil

Right now, under lights ...awaiting the weather to warm a bit (to save heating the greenhouse)
we have:
1300 onion starts ( 4 inches tall>trimmed back once, almost pencil size diameter..doing GREAT!)
216 Pepper seedlings (from SUPER HOT..to Sweet)(second set of true leaves..nice and stocky )

1000 tomato starts Heirloom & Hybrid (just popping through)
Cauliflower, broccoli and egg plant to be seeded today

Whew, that sounds like alot of plants Huh??:confused:

But we sell bedding plants...
accounts for all the tomato plants except for the 150 we will plant...
last year we planted all 216 peppers...but this year we will sell some also...

No way in the world..will we be planting potatoes on Good Friday...can not even see the ground for the snow...
On the Upside...the 346 heads of garlic out in the garden have a nice fluffy white blanket