Mashed Potatoe Pie

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This is what I call an "olden days" recipe because my husband's mother made it for his family just about once a week with leftover mashed potatoes. Instant mashed potatoes or the frozen mashed potatoes and either canned or frozen veg-all will work too.

3556772773_f2a252787b.jpg

Leftover mashed potatoes (at room temperature)
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese

1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup frozen green peas

1 T butter
1 T flour
1 cup beef broth

Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, adding the chopped onion when the beef is partially cooked. Once the beef is fully cooked, add the garlic and cook for a minute or two more. Season the meat with the Worcestershire, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add the corn and peas, mix well, and then pour the mixture into a casserole dish.

Add the butter and flour to the skillet and mix together until smooth. Gradually add the beef broth, stirring continuously until smooth. Simmer until the mixture thickens slightly. Pour this over the meat/vegetable mixture in the casserole dish.

Top the mixture with the mashed potatoes, smoothing the potatoes over the mixture to seal the edges. Place in a 375 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes. Add the cheese, return to the oven, and continue cooking until the cheese melts and begins to brown.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks Lifesaver. I was hoping that your d-i-l (did I get that right?) might want to try it out.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I LOVE this stuff !
Been too long since I've had it............THX for the reminder, Cooksie !