Bread Pudding

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is a dessert that was born of necessity long ago. It was a recipe cooked up by thrifty homemakers to use every bit of leftovers in interesting ways to feed their families. This bread pudding, from an old Amish cookbook, is absolutely incredible.

It is definitely a comfort food, and can be made richer with cinnamon sauce or caramel sauce. You can also substitute berries in place of the raisins for a delicious change of pace. It is a fairly basic bread pudding recipe, but it is truly the soul satisfying treat that most people crave. Nothing beats warm bread pudding on a cold or rainy night.

Ingredients:
2 cups whole milk (or 2 cups half & half)
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar (white or brown, depending on taste preference)
3 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (french bread works best)
1/2 cup raisins (optional) (I added 1C of diced apricots for the picture below. Very tasty & sweet)

Directions:
1. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture.
3. Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
4. Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
If you make the sauce to put on top of your bread pudding, adjust the sugar in the bread pudding recipe, change it to 1/3 cups sugar (the sauce has the other 1/3 cup in it).
Bread Pudding Sauce

Ingredients:

1 cup whole milk
2 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. flour
dash of salt

Directions:

Mix everything together and bring to a boil for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding.

BreadPudding-2.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That looks absolutely perfect, Joe. I love bread pudding and this recipe sounds divine. Thank you so much for the recipe, and the picture (so I know how it's supposed to look.)

Shermie

Site Supporter
That looks absolutely perfect, Joe. I love bread pudding and this recipe sounds divine. Thank you so much for the recipe, and the picture (so I know how it's supposed to look.)

It DOES!

I haven't made bread pudding in years!! But I think I'll make some soon. :clap:

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks, everyone. This was the first time I made bread pudding, so i was pleased with the finished product. DD had a wisdom tooth removed and requested bread pudding because it was something she could eat without any pain. 2/3 of the pan is GONE! LMAO