Merlot Onion Beef Tips with Mushrooms - Outdoor DO (ala Homecook!)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Merlot Onion Beef Tips with Mushrooms (Outdoor DO)

This isn’t my recipe. It’s the wonderful creation of Homecook.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6094&highlight=peek

I adapted Homecook's recipe to the Outdoor DO, so now you can make it while camping or just outside with some charcoal and your Outdoor DO. When it’s hot and you don’t want to heat the house cooking, grab that Outdoor DO and some charcoal and try this!!

I posted this in Homecook’s thread as it is her recipe. But I also started this new thread here in case someone comes looking for Outdoor DO recipes and inspiration.

All props, thanks, and love go to Homecook! Much love! :kiss:

Please refer back to the original recipe by Homecook for all ingredients and particulars. This thread is just the Outdoor methodology.

--------------------------

So - I found myself at the store and couldn’t remember what cut of meat to use for this. I remembered the soup and mushrooms, but not the cut. I’ve had Sirloin beef tips before, so opted for a small Sirloin Roast.

I adapted this for my Outdoor DO. I just love using that thing! :wub:

DO: 10”
Coals: 22 – 10 Bottom, 12 top
Cook Time: 2 hours

To brown the meat, you simply need to add your coals to the empty DO and allow it to heat for 15 minutes. You should have 1 Tbsp of oil in the DO. After 15 minutes of heating up, add the meat, stir briefly, then apply the lid (coals are on the lid, so be careful). Leave it undisturbed for 15 minutes.

Remove lid to safe place (coals are still on the lid). Stir meat. Now add wine, soups, and mushrooms. Stir to mix and coat well. Cover and don’t peek until done.

At this point, you’re into your coals by 30 minutes. They’ll last another 40 or so before you need to change them with a fresh batch. So basically, you’re heating the DO for 15 minutes, browning the meat for 15, and then cooking it all for 1.5+ hours undisturbed. Technically, one batch of coals goes a little longer than 1 hour, but it begins cooling then.

Also, technically, the number of coals I used for a 10” DO (22 coals) equates to 375 degrees. So, 1.5 hours of total “cook” time (not the browning time) is actually just right.

Here is the roast.

Step1-29.jpg

Apply the knife, and the roast is now “stew meat”.

Step2-24.jpg

The meat goes in for browning. Wait 15 minutes, and we having some steaming and browned meat. Notice that in an Outdoor DO relying on charcoal, the browning is a little less than if we were using a conventional stove top. You aren’t privy to having the lid open and stirring frequently, plus the heat supply is limited. However, we could have let it sit 30 minutes to brown which would have expended more coal.

Step3-20.jpg

Step4-14.jpg

Give the meat a stir and then add the soup, wine, and mushrooms. Now it’s time to add the lid and begin the no-peek period!

Step5-13.jpg

Finally done! Bring it in and let it rest for 10 – 15 minutes. The CI holds heat very well. While it is resting, go ahead and re-oil your lid while it is warm. When ready, look inside!

Step6-7.jpg

And here it is plated over “dumpling” style No-Yolk Egg noodles.

Step7-7.jpg

lilylove

I'm am so making this the next time Paul goes out of town!

I'll have to do it on the stove or in the oven though... :)

lesley

Oooh this don't half look good...thank you, I've copied & pasted...I love the idea of having it with noodles...:clap:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
When you get ready, check at Amazon. They usually have a few really good deals on these with free super saver shipping.

yup super saver shipping to USA but canada they usually dont offer that..

amazon.ca doesnt offer household items only Books,Music,Movies & TV Shows,Electronics,Software and Video Games

anything shipped from a company over $20 you have to pay duty on,plus that size of item will not ship regular post so UPS is the only option..yikes a $40 pot quickly turns into a $100 pot..lol

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

amazon.ca doesnt offer household items only Books,Music,Movies & TV Shows,Electronics,Software and Video Games

anything shipped from a company over $20 you have to pay duty on,plus that size of item will not ship regular post so UPS is the only option..yikes a $40 pot quickly turns into a $100 pot..lol
Oh crap, I forgot. Sorry, Jeff. :blush:

RNE228

You got WalMart? Walmart usually has the 12" Lodge DO for $35-40. They only carry that size, but do offer the best price.