Have any of you made or had Turducken before?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Have any of you made or had this before?

I want to try it!

But instead of a traditional Whole turkey being used for it (pictured below), I want to do a scaled-down sort of a Mini-version of it in the form of a rolled and tied roast (also pictued below).

A whole big turkey is juat way too much for me, since it is only me!!

I thought about pounding a boned half turkey breast with the skin side down, adding some cut up raw chicken & duck meat to some stuffing, layering the mixture onto the turkey breast, rolling it up and tying it, and them roasting it in the oven. :weber:

Attachments

• Turducken.png
    Turducken.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Turducken Roll.jpg
    Turducken Roll.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 166

Leni

I have eaten it and it was very good. The dressing was a bit spicy for some of the folks though.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my exes' family bought one. that was not an item that many put on their plates, tho. similar to tofurkey in its popularity. nom. hm.
i have thought of buying myself/my pals one. then i thought well. we made a turkey that Thanksgiving. nom.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I thought also, about brining the flattened turkey breast, the duck & chicken meat in the fridge overnight first, to give them a little added flavor. Not too much, just a touch!

I want it to come out right the for the first time, as this will be my very first attempt at doing it. Careful planning so that nothing goes wrong must be factored in! :smile:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Funny you should post. I am desirous of making one too. Same problem as Sherm, not enough people.

Here is some info http://www.gofflepoultry.com/Recipes.html

These folks are near my house. They raise all their poultry from egg to over the counter, all natural feed, no chemicals. The difference in the taste is indescribable. It has changed our entire outlook on poultry.

Anyway, a whole turducken must be cooked low and slow for it to all be done. Hmmmm wonder about a smoked turducken.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Funny you should post. I am desirous of making one too. Same problem as Sherm, not enough people.

Here is some info http://www.gofflepoultry.com/Recipes.html

These folks are near my house. They raise all their poultry from egg to over the counter, all natural feed, no chemicals. The difference in the taste is indescribable. It has changed our entire outlook on poultry.

Anyway, a whole turducken must be cooked low and slow for it to all be done. Hmmmm wonder about a smoked turducken.

Yes, sir!!!

Time is of the utmost importance & essence on this one, reason being is because it takes far longer to cook than just a plain stuffed turkey!

At least 5-1/2 hours or so at a temp of about 300 degrees or a little better!! You don't want to overcook it, neither would you undercook it!

It has to be just right, and it still has to reach an internal temp of about 165 degrees or so. :weber:

chilefarmer

Adillo, you know everything smoked taste good. CF

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We had turducken one time for Thanksgiving then went back to regular roasted turkey. For me, it's kind of like overkill, just too much stuff going on in there. I think the duck part turned off a lot of people too.

I've never had turken, deboned chicken inside a deboned turkey, which sounds better to me.

Now those deboned chickens stuffed with crawfish or shrimp dressing from Hebert's are da bomb! I've done those for Thanksgiving when there weren't a lot of people.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Actually, the little pic that I posted above with the turducken rolled up jelly-roll-style, is a Cajun-style one.

I don't want any Cajun seasoning in it. It would then be too spicy! I just want the normal small rolled up one without all that heat! I want to be able to taste all those flavors that some people are raving about.

I once saw Paula Deen do one on one of her shows once, but I can't remember which one. :bbq3: :bbq: