Monte Cristo Sammies

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
You can use different cheeses and meats for added variety.

9 Slices Wheat Bread
3 Slices Cooked Turkey
3 Slices Cooked Ham
3 Slices American Cheese
3 Slices Swiss Cheese

Batter
1 Egg
1 - 1 1/4 C. Water
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Flour
1 Tbs. Baking Powder
Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)

Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American cheese on another slice of bread. Place third slice in-between and secure the triple decker sandwich in the corners with tooth picks. Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat together. Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Beat batter until smooth. Dip sandwich in batter and carefully cover all the sides and surface. Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden. When sandwich has turned a warm gold color remove from hot oil and place on paper towel. Let cool for a few minutes before removing the tooth picks. Before serving slice into fourths and sprinkle with powder sugar.

Serve with raspberry preserves, pickle garnish and your favorite side order of French fried potatoes

homecook

I make Monte Cristos all the time. Your recipe is a little different than mine. I just use egg/water to dip the sandwich in just like when I make my french toast. Does yours come out with more of a batter?
Sounds good.

Barb

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I make Monte Cristos all the time. Your recipe is a little different than mine. I just use egg/water to dip the sandwich in just like when I make my french toast. Does yours come out with more of a batter?
Sounds good.

Barb

comes out almost the same as french toast but because you are deep frying it, its a little crunchier is all

chowhound

I never heard of these sandwiches. They sound pretty good. Gotta pic of one, Jeff?
Boy... I keep reading that recipe... it's sounding real good...

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I never heard of these sandwiches. They sound pretty good. Gotta pic of one, Jeff?
Boy... I keep reading that recipe... it's sounding real good...

not my pic but this is how mine turn out

MonteCristo-main_Full.jpg

PanchoHambre

I don't think I ever had a deep fried Monte-Cristo ahem Monte-Crisco... I think I got fatter just looking at that thing.. looks good

Last edited:

homecook

When I make them I just pan fry them in oil. The deep frying is something I'm definitely going to try.

Barb