Getting a New Home Computer Today!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm getting a new home computer today from BJ's!

It a HP (Hewlit Pakard) Pavilian p7-1221b and it comes as a bundle package (with 20" monitor).

Did the research on it and found out that it's a good buy for the money! It's loaded with many features.

The price is $599.99 after an instant savings of about $130, making it the ideal machine for the money!!

The 2 laptops units that I have, on one, the usb ports are broken and need to be replaced, while the other one is slow, showing it's age and and it getting on in years, so a new one is essential. The 2 laptops will eventually be repaired though, but this will be my first home unit since about 2,000. :wow:

Attachments

• HP Computer Bundle.jpg
    HP Computer Bundle.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
8gb of memory. That is awesome!!!! So many times they short you on memory to keep the price down and it can slow down a decent machine so so much.
Congrats.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, Doc!! Oh, yes!!

For the price and the many features that it has, I believe that it was really worth it!

And yes you're RIGHT!!

Not enough memory can really slow a computer down!! It is very frustrating, aggravating and annoying when you're online and it seems like hours on end waiting for a page to download because you pc is running so atrociously slow!!!

Like the one that I am using at my friend's house now!!! it is 7 years old, and it is so slow until it is aggravatingly slow!!!!

yeah, I was going to get the next model down, but it has less memory & features, so I found out that I like THIS one a whole lot better!

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I agree on the memory also. My laptop has 8 gig while the desktop has 16 gig though the desktop is an i7 chip and the laptop is i5 based with both being 64 bit systems and both running Win 7 Pro.

Shermie

Site Supporter
There optional provisions now for Microsoft Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

But I think that this provision only applies to purchasers of new computers, such as myself and a friend who just bought a new Toshiba laptop recently.

The upgrade is dirt-cheap, costing only $14.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
joec -

here's a question I've pondered but not delved into . . .

32 bit systems can only address (slightly less) than 4 gb RAM
64 bit - way more.

problem / question:
there's a dearth of "native" software explicitly coded to "take advantage" of the 64 bit OS.

so comma comma most of it runs 32 bit (potentially "virtual") within 64 bit system hardware which raises the question:
does a 32 bit software "see" all that memory?

obviously the OS is going to hopefully "offload" itself into some of that RAM, but have you actually seen "serious improvements" running 32 bit software with 16 gb RAM?

running _multiple_ 32 bit app's simultaneous (usually) avails itself of the extra RAM, but any one app is likely limited to its 32 bit environment.

complicated by Win7 "limits" by version . . . 8gb to 192 gb

joec

Gold Site Supporter
joec -

here's a question I've pondered but not delved into . . .

32 bit systems can only address (slightly less) than 4 gb RAM
64 bit - way more.

problem / question:
there's a dearth of "native" software explicitly coded to "take advantage" of the 64 bit OS.

so comma comma most of it runs 32 bit (potentially "virtual") within 64 bit system hardware which raises the question:
does a 32 bit software "see" all that memory?

obviously the OS is going to hopefully "offload" itself into some of that RAM, but have you actually seen "serious improvements" running 32 bit software with 16 gb RAM?

running _multiple_ 32 bit app's simultaneous (usually) avails itself of the extra RAM, but any one app is likely limited to its 32 bit environment.

complicated by Win7 "limits" by version . . . 8gb to 192 gb

Well when I was into computer systems back in the late 80's early 90's as a system analyst there was little over a 16 bit system and couldn't handle even 4 gig but more like 2 gig. But based on Win 7 64 bit systems it seems to run more multiple 32 bit programs faster and smoother and the i7 is faster still than the i5 also. I do run some legacy software such as Office XP Developer which wouldn't run at all on Vista at all but runs great under Win 7 and that is a 32 bit application also. So based on that it perhaps divides up the software into their own memory blocks but can't swear to it as I'm not sure today since it has changed so much over the last 20 years.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
that's essentially my impression as well. the WOW64 allows each multiple 32 bit app to see their max memory (presuming enough is installed..)

but unless one goes seriously overboard on RAM, the bennies may be ultra-tiny - i.e. any one 32 bit app can address up to 4gb; so 8gb gets you two apps . . . and iffin' I understand WOW64 correctly, launching a 32 bit app "locks up / isolates" that RAM, it's not dynamically shared. works, but only at the "brute force" level.

>>in the 80's-90's
sigh. you youngsters . . . (g) I cut my teeth booting up a PDP8 with 2 inch wide magnetic tape in the late 60's. the "terminal" was a teletype with a real bell.
things change, thank heavens!

Lefty

Yank
Remember the programs that take real advantage of the 64bit hierarchy with quad core processing will be huge databases and video editing. There are others. I am in no way demeaning anyone with the next sentence but most of the time we really aren't using the system to that extreme. Gamers are a group that take advantage of that video processing. Video editors use that processing. Most people myself included don't use that. I used to use all that power, but I stopped gaming and video editing. Took up too much time for all that. If you follow the rule to keep a clean system, run updates, back up your data and run system scans you will have a healthy fast system for years to come.

Healthy computing folks.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Gaming and video editing can also rob your pc of a considerable amount of memory, disk space and can slow your pc down considerably!

That is why I don't do any of those things.

Lefty

Yank
Just an example. I am doing all my computing for 48 days on an Android Tablet with a 1 ghz dual core processor tegra chip. You don't need 12g to facebook or tweet.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just an example. I am doing all my computing for 48 days on an Android Tablet with a 1 ghz dual core processor tegra chip. You don't need 12g to facebook or tweet.

I just found out earlier today before going to class, that all of the old history files & cookies weren't being removed from my laptop pc!!

Deeper diagnostics and investigation had revealed that awful discovery in the regristry cleaning software. I was not making sure that everything was being kicked out of my pc.

Upon finding this out, I had to make sure that the files were gone by repeating the cleanings, more than just one time only! This just doesn't cut it!!

After doing this, I was amazed that the pc had returned to normal!! I knew that something was wrong because websites, programs and software just kept on repeatedly not responding!!! And the unit was becoming increasingly and atrociously friggen slow!!!

But now, since I've weaned out and banned all of those old cookies and history files, the pc works much better and faster, almost like new!!! It flies now!!! :wink:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>> the pc works much better and faster,

I can point you to "experts" who maintain that the user should leave Windows to its own devices - because "Windows limits and manages all such manner of things" and user interference results in bad things.

my experience says: utter hogwash.

Windows collects and keeps so much garbage, it is its own worst enemy.
for example: left to its own devices, Windows will keep "back up" files for each and every "update" installed. anyone really interested in "rolling back" to Service Pack 1?
but all that "stuff" eats up your hard drive space, megabytes at a clip.

plus "error reporting logs" into the megabytes / gigabyte range - depending on version.

plus "cached" items - IE keeps stuff about forever. btw, Firefox also has a big thirst for cached items, but it is easier to control through menu options - with IE you have to use regedit to modfy the computer's registry file. not too many casual users are that brave - screw it up and yes Virginia, you can turn your computer into a brick.

helping out one bloke who had a really dogged down computer, it took Windows _90_ minutes to delete / clean out his "cookies" - literally tens of thousands of cookie files. everytime you click on something, Windows looks to those cookie files to see if you've clicked there before . . .

that news item you read four years ago? . . . likely still "on file" - default values for "saving things" is outrageous.

does that kind of behavior slow your computer down? ask Sherman . . .

Windows actually has a built in clean-up tool - cleanmgr.exe
however it's default settings result in near no serious cleanup.

CCleaner is is an excellent and safe tool. in decades of use I've never had it do a bad thing. I use it to purge garbage files and also take out the garbage in the registry.

another good source: and these folks are ultra-reliable - this specific article on cleanmgr.exe is behind the pay firewall - btw, the user selects the own level of "donation" to "join" - I do $12/yr - money exceptionally well spent.
http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/using-windows-hidden-disk-cleanup-options/

Shermie

Site Supporter
ccleaner is a nice and powerful tool that cleans temp files all the way down to the registry. The free version works well enough. Link below.

http://www.piriform.com/promo/cclea...27f3fef7e57c&gclid=CPSiuMeXwrICFeaDQgody2oA2Q

Yup!!

A dear friend of mine who sadly just died, had suggested that I try it. And it works!!

The problem was, that I didn't make sure that everything was cleaned up. I only clicked on the Run Cleaner button once, when I should have done it repeatedly until the screen reads; CLEANING COMPLETE and there are no more files listed below.

This was the problem with me.

Once in a while, it is good to get rid of all the history files and cookies though.

Another one to consider is Glarysoft.

Go here;

http://www.glarysoft.com .

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, Doc!!

That laptop looks really nice, but I'd have to wait on it.

I got one of my 2 existing laptops working good now. Now that I was able to clean up all those old history files & cookies, with a routine normal preventive maintenence checkup, which I do every week!

Shermie

Site Supporter
>> the pc works much better and faster,

I can point you to "experts" who maintain that the user should leave Windows to its own devices - because "Windows limits and manages all such manner of things" and user interference results in bad things.

my experience says: utter hogwash.

Windows collects and keeps so much garbage, it is its own worst enemy.
for example: left to its own devices, Windows will keep "back up" files for each and every "update" installed. anyone really interested in "rolling back" to Service Pack 1?
but all that "stuff" eats up your hard drive space, megabytes at a clip.

plus "error reporting logs" into the megabytes / gigabyte range - depending on version.

plus "cached" items - IE keeps stuff about forever. btw, Firefox also has a big thirst for cached items, but it is easier to control through menu options - with IE you have to use regedit to modfy the computer's registry file. not too many casual users are that brave - screw it up and yes Virginia, you can turn your computer into a brick.

helping out one bloke who had a really dogged down computer, it took Windows _90_ minutes to delete / clean out his "cookies" - literally tens of thousands of cookie files. everytime you click on something, Windows looks to those cookie files to see if you've clicked there before . . .

that news item you read four years ago? . . . likely still "on file" - default values for "saving things" is outrageous.

does that kind of behavior slow your computer down? ask Sherman . . .

Windows actually has a built in clean-up tool - cleanmgr.exe
however it's default settings result in near no serious cleanup.

CCleaner is is an excellent and safe tool. in decades of use I've never had it do a bad thing. I use it to purge garbage files and also take out the garbage in the registry.

another good source: and these folks are ultra-reliable - this specific article on cleanmgr.exe is behind the pay firewall - btw, the user selects the own level of "donation" to "join" - I do $12/yr - money exceptionally well spent.
http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/using-windows-hidden-disk-cleanup-options/

That's about the size of it!

Little did I know, that I was not catching ALL of those old registry files and cookies!!!

I'd run the cleaner only once, not knowing that those files were piling up and slowing the computer down to a crawl at times!! It needs to be repeatedly run until no files are being shown below the line under CLEANING COMPLETE.

Lesson learnt; Make sure that ALL of those files ans cookies are deleted, or your pc will start running irattically and slow!

There is another brand of software that's out there, called PCmattic. Don't waste your time with THIS one!! They advertise on TV that it's a free download, but they are NOT telling you that the scan RESULTS aren't free!!!!

After going to their website and downloading the software, running the so-called registry scan, I found out afterwards, that they want your cradit card or debit card #!!!!! What a ripoff!!! I was so pissed at them that I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled the software from the pc!!!!!!

But there IS another one that's safe, called Glarysoft. I DO have that one in the pc.

Go here;

http://www.glarysoft.com . :bonk:

Shermie

Site Supporter
|I still have to clean out the registry files daily, but at least not every 15 or 20 minutes!!

Th pc had slowed down this morning, but after running the registry cleaner, it was alright!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
My new computer is about to be set up. connected, loaded up and tested this week.

I'll soon be able to stop using the laptop at the house!!! Only on trips!!!

I'm also going to sign up for computer class in December, to help benefit the use of the new computer!!

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
My new computer is almost done!!!

Just needs to have the backup software (Acronis) installed into it and a backup and backup disk made, just in case something goes wrong, or in case the computer starts acting up.

I should have it at home by this weekend, or sometime next week.

Shermie

Site Supporter
My new computer is now home, set up and running!!

No more constant on-going aggravating problems as with those aggravating laptop pc's!!!

I love that it has a much larger monitor and many more features than with the laptops!!! Now, I'm going to work on getting a new laptop for use when traveling only!!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
For those of you who would like to know about the features & specs on my new computer, you can go here;

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=5187022&prodTypeId=12454

It even has a wireles card for wireless hookup, but I don't use that. I use the ethernet (wired) connection fot it. To keep hackers that might be in the area from hacking into it for corrupting it, or for free wireless service.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Sherm -

if you have a wireless router or combo modem/router device, you need to set the security protocols and passwords on that device to prevent unauthorized use of the wireless network. do not use "password" (te. al.) for the password on the wireless network.

whether any computer in range is / is not using wireless has zip comma zero influence on that situation.

>>those aggravating laptop pc's!!!
sorry, but again, a computer is a computer. if your laptop is affected, has zip comma zero affect on a desktop.

if you find running a registry cleaner every 15 minutes - or even daily - to be of some advantage, there are serious malware issues on that computer. those kind of issues are usually caused by surfing / user habits and no, a new computer does not cure that problem.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I do, the computer is set up to prevent unauthorized use of the wireless network.

I suspected malware, and yes, it could also happen with the new computer. But I found out that the reason the laptop was not working right is because it was too low on availible memory, making it run so atrouciously slow. Its memory, it seems, was being eaten immensely up by some underlying problem.

Not to mention the fact that the laptop pc was so corrupted that programs such as Windows Update wouldn't work any more.

It CAN be fixed, but it needs a complete recovery, meaning that the hard drive has to be formatted (completly erased) and the pc recovered back to the time when it first worked like new. That is the only way now, to get rid of any malware, corrupted files and other discrepancies. A restoral to the latest backup worked, but only for less ythan a week.

And yes, you're also right about the constantly frequent registry cleanings, but also the constantly frequent defraggings as well. It needs some serious work.

No, a new computer does NOT solve the problem, but those problems can be kept at bay with better knowllege and careful surfing on the Web. i don't visit suspcious websites, and if Norton says don't go in there, I DON'T.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>I do, the computer is set up to prevent unauthorized use of the wireless network.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your message correctly, but to reiterate, any computer - connected wireless or wired, _can NOT_ prevent un-authorized access / use of a wireless network.

you _must_ set up the wireless access point (i.e. combo modem/wireless router or wireless router) with the best security protocols & password - and changing it's open display name is a good idea - or the wireless network is not secure.
period.
end of statement.

you can do anything you'd like with a desktop/notebook/smart phone/(anything)Pad / computer configuration.
none of that will secure your wireless access point.

>>It needs some serious work.
sounds like it. do insist the rebuild start with FDISK.
why? because "full formatting" (forget about "quick formatting) does not touch specific tracks/sectors of the hard drive where Microsoft hides all it's secrets - and is where the best of the worst malware hides itself.

FDISK wipes out / cleans virtually every sector and every track physically present on the physical hard drive - it ignores logical hard drives. nothing can hide from that.
FDISK also takes a long(ish) time to run - hours, not even parts of an hour.

oh, I rather think you'd rather not hear about "brand new out of the box" computers coming fully equipped with miscellaneous malware installed without the maker's intent or knowledge . . .

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well, in simple terms, if the laptop dpoes not work properly after THIS recovery, then I'm dumping it and I'll have the broken usb ports replaced on the other laptop, which BTW still runs good otherwise.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just to drop a couple cents in here.

If one of your laptops has "broken" USB ports, think carefully about having them repaired. They are probably on the motherboard, which necessitates replacement of the whole motherboard. It could be significant dollars.

In all the years that I have been servicing computers, I do not frequently get total satisfaction from cleaning up an existing computer in any manner. There is frequently something that "hangs around".

Next, you have to consider the costs involved. to wipe out a computer completely, format the hard drive (no quick format) and reload the operating system and some software (Word Processors, PDF readers, etc) and configure printers and such is four to six hours. After you have done this, you have a several year old computer working like it did the day it was new. If you are paying for tech time, you have just spent close to (or more than) what a new machine off the shelf ready to go costs. The difference being that the new machine would have faster CPU, probably more RAM and a newer operating system to start with. Let's also consider longevity. Rebuilding a computer means that the moving parts (fan, hard drive, keyboard and mouse) have a few years wear on them. If they fail, as ALL hardware will, you can be quite frustrated.

Chowder, I struggled with your explanation a bit. FDISK is a DOS based program that just manages (wipes out and creates) the partition table and runs relatively instantly. After I thought about it, I think you are referring to a full intitalize and reformat of the hard drive, which does, indeed, take hours, especially with bigger hard drives.

While I am rambling, the best middle of the road solution that I have seen is to mount the hard drive on a Linux system, copy off the data files necessary (pictures, documents, etc) to some removable media (external hard drive, flash drive or a DC / DVD) and use that data to populate the rebuilt system.