Who Has Wi-Fi?

Shermie

Site Supporter
How many of you have wi-fi (wireless router)?

I've just ordered one from Comcast after finding out that there is no monthly fee for it. Just a one-time small fee of only $10. Because I want to be able to use my laptop pc's in any room in the apartment.

And I was wondering who has it and are you all satisfied with it? I DO have wi-fi when I go over to a friend's house. He has it set up for his laptop pc. :thankyou:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Had it for years. We all have laptops, the wife also has an I-pad and I have an I-Pod Touch.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, modern technology is mind boggling!

My two laptops also have a built-in wireless card.

And I want to be able to use that feature at home now, not just when I'm at someone else's house, in a coffee shop, while traveling on Amtrak or at a hotel.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Even more strange is that I'm considering getting wi-fi. For years, at home, I've relied on the wired connction for Internet service.

I'll still use the wired connection for getting updates from Windows Vista because I was told that using the wired connection for updates and other stuff helps the process move faster than with wi-fi.

Any truth to that theory?

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Wireless here except for the file server and one desktop. They're plugged into the router.

4 laptops, 2 iphones, and 2 ipads on wireless.

Did I mention there are only 3 of us in the house? :yum:

I do have a cocker spaniel who likes to play solitare.

Jim

Carolina Cooking

guess I am odd man out. I hated mine. Plus that laptop.

I bought 4 routers. The last one $150. POS like the rest of them. Ciscos/Linksky.

NONE of them would keep me connected.I had Time Warner out & they even re-wired inside & out.I had to re-boot up to 7 times a day. got sick of not being able to stay online so I jerked out those wires & am happy to be back online with my desktop.24./7 with NO problems.

I am old school. I like things that work for me.

Hated that $1k lap top too. Its back in the box it came in. :sad:

Shermie

Site Supporter
$150 would seem like a big investment - especially for a wireless router. One that doesn't work is even worst!

So sorry that you were having so many problems with the units. What did you eventually do with the laptop?

Carolina Cooking

$150 would seem like a big investment - especially for a wireless router. One that doesn't work is even worst!

So sorry that you were having so many problems with the units. What did you eventually do with the laptop?

Lol its in the box it came in. I thought it was a good idea at the time. :laugh: In fact I bought it as a birthday gift to myself.One yr ago. Humm joke was on me.

I don't even want to buy a Ipad or anything that has to do with WI FI.

I like my desk top keyboard & my monitor large screen too.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Lol its in the box it came in. I thought it was a good idea at the time. :laugh: In fact I bought it as a birthday gift to myself.One yr ago. Humm joke was on me.

I don't even want to buy a Ipad or anything that has to do with WI FI.

I like my desk top keyboard & my monitor large screen too.

Do you travel at all? Stay at hotels a lot?

You might want to consider having your laptop checked out, to see what might be wrong. Most of the hotels have gone wireless Internet service now.

Be a shame not to use it. So far, from the experience that I've had from using wi-fi, is that it seems to work pretty good. Which is why I want to give it a try at home.

Have you made sure that your pc's wi-fi is turned on? Are the settings correct? I wouldn't give up the ghost yet.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
no one has mentioned this bit, so here goes:

the standards for wireless have evolved. here's a good recap.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/a/aa80211standard.htm

I've been running wireless for over ten years. old router died, it was a 11 Mbps.
new router supports 802.11g - 100 Mbps speed.
"performance" of the wireless notebooks was noticeably better.

but . . .
you have to have the 802.11g on both ends - an older pc with a slower wireless card is not to to mystically work faster.

there's .11n also - been floating around for a while - not too popular just yet because the "standard" isn't "finalized" - but I could be out-of-date on that issue.

there's something in my house that 'degrades' the signal to one 2nd floor bedroom.
I used a "repeater" to solve that problem.

there are also systems that utilize the house wiring to 'carry' the wireless signal - the router "plugs into" the outlet, you need a plug in device/tranmitter for various spaces/areas. tad pricey but reportedly works very well if you have a "difficult" environment.

if you go wireless, do by all means:
- change the broadcast name of your 'network/router' - if you use the default "Linksys Model xyz" hackers have a serious advantage since the know the make and how to "attack" it.

- set up the security (not WEP - that's useless) using a maximum length key - write it down.
the key is 'stored' on your machines, you don't need to enter it every log on - so go for the max, most difficult password / pass phrase. there are web sites that will evaluate how 'hard' your suggested password/phrase is.

if you're going to go wireless in public places / access points, do _not_ set up any file or disk sharing on that machine.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
my router password has 32 characters including both upper and lower case letters and also numbers.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have wifi built into my new laptop and two wireless networks total. One is in the office and connects two desktop machines (one in the apartment) and a printer. The second is in the apartment and has a printer and Directv whole home as well as on demand connecting 3 TV sets as well as my laptop via wifi.

As a matter of fact I just replaced the router and modem, installing a new modem router combo that goes. I also have GPS on my new laptop a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 520 with i5 Dual Core Intel chipset and 8 gig ram.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Both of mine have built-in wi-fi cards.

But I just found out that wi=fi is actually slower than wired Internet service. Was told that a $50 USB adapter is needed for faster wi-fi.

Boy! You try to make surfing the Web better, only to find out that it can cost you even MORE to make it better!!!!!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Sherm -

you need to do a whole lotta research.

>>Both of mine have built-in wi-fi cards.
which support what wireless standard?

>>wireless is slower
yeah, no kiddin. been that way since invented.

>>need a USB device
so first, what do the computers support?
USB 1.x
USB 2.x
USB 3.x?
have you compared the data throughput rate of the USB port to the router transfer rate?

Phiddlechik

We have MacBooks, and are wifi. Did no research, just plugged in the the airport, ta-da. If you have a pc, then yes, you might want to do some research.
I have found no difference in speed on our laptops, no degradation of service.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I keep my laptop wired direct when home as I have a docking station however when away is when WiFi is really handy. I see little need to have it on a desktop as DSL/T1 lines are more practical to me in a home/business situation.

Oh yes as to what I keep hooked to my docking station at home. Printer, HD Monitor, Mouse, DSL line and a backup disk drive. One simple plug and ready to use both the monitor in my 15.6 laptop and the 22" monitor both which are HD.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>Both of mine have built-in wi-fi cards.
unless the "mine" date from the stone age, or are Blue-Light specials, odds are the built in wireless supports 802.11g
as you choose not to research or learn about that, we're wandering about in the dark.

that's a good as it (commonly) gets in the real world of today.
whoever convinced you to spend $50 on a more versatile USB wireless doohickie only made you more versatile and agile by lightening your wallet.

same with the USB controller/port throughput. you can hang a 5 million dollar USB doohickie on the laptop, but if the laptop's USB controller doesn't support high(er)/high(est) speeds, it's worthless - you'll get better value for the buck just stretching the string between the two soup cans a little tighter.

you asked, I tried to help. sorry about that failure - but it is historically accurate.

Shermie

Site Supporter
At long last!

I now have wi-fi at home! The friend who has it in his house and is set up in my 2 pc's, helped me set up my pc's to receive wireless Web.

My two laptop pc's are now configured to receive wireless Internet service. And also, I'm getting a very good signal strength as well.

I'm able to go online anywhere in the house now, istead of just in the living room!

Now I just need a new battery for one of the pc's.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I still have wired Internet as well. I keep the main pc wired, while the other one is on wireloess.

The router has 4 Ethernet jacks in the back, accommodating up to four pc's at once. The router feeds off the single Ethernet jack at the back of the modem. That jack was once used for wired Internet only.

Embryodad

I have one too. It is my third. The first was a cheapo linksys 29.00 one.
The second one was better, but it kept cutting out and losing the signals.
I found out after fruitless checks...that the power source was dropping the output of 5.3 VDC to 2.3VDC.. I replaced the power supply (just a little plug in power transformer pack 120 to DV volt.
I now have a TP link hooked up. It works great, but it loses talk between the comcast modem once in a while. All I do is unplug both, and reconnect so they can Sync.

I have a printer though, that is a host from one PC desktop. That is a pain; because I have to keep that computer on all the time. If it goes to the sleep mode, I can't print from my other two computers in the house. DW's is a Laptop, and mine is a desktop in the kitchen on the counter. This way I could cook and play on the computer at the same time.

I have what they call a Printer Server Router, and I still have to set that up for printing without having the Host computer on all the time.

I have comcast...but there is no free router in their services here in NJ.
I even have to rent the Modem. Grrrrrrr!!!!

I only have trouble with connections when it is raining and windy for some reason. Not with my Network router etc. , but the internet through the Comcast server provider.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Mine is made by Net Gear.

That sucks!! What, you live in a seemingly non-compatible area, so you don't qualify for free wi-fi? What stark-raving idiocy!!!

I held off getting one until last month, because I thought Comcast was imposing a monthly fee for it, so I didn't want it. But since they are not asking for a monthly fee, I jumped at the thought of getting one!

As long as there is no monthly fee, I'll keep it.

Embryodad

Mine is made by Net Gear.

That sucks!! What, you live in a seemingly non-compatible area, so you don't qualify for free wi-fi? What stark-raving idiocy!!!

I held off getting one until last month, because I thought Comcast was imposing a monthly fee for it, so I didn't want it. But since they are not asking for a monthly fee, I jumped at the thought of getting one!

As long as there is no monthly fee, I'll keep it.
Yeah!... I guess the Bear Eats me!

I forgot to mention. I do have 4 ports on the router, and the computer close to that is plugged directly into one of the ports.
The other two (the kitchen one and DW's laptop ) are on the wi-fi throgh the router.
People say the router is slow, but nano seconds are not gonna bother me.

Gosh...I remember when we first got the computer (trashed by now)...we had a local dial- up server here in town, and AOL. OMG what a disaster. The modem in the computer would go ta ta ta ta ta..ta ta .ta at .ta at at ta ta ta t...and then we would get AOL. When we used AOL I got a bill for a extra 33.00...I was like WTH...???

It was for line phone charges to long distance web sites.. That was the end of that.

I then went to (I don't even know if they are still around) Earth Link. that was another disaster at that time.

then it was Verizon..and because of the bad outdated phone wires on the poles in the area...I kept losing the connections.
now with Comcast ....It seem to be OK..But Boy with the TV and Phone and Internet..It costs a fortune. I pay like ..287.00 a month. that sucks big time.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah!... I guess the Bear Eats me!

I forgot to mention. I do have 4 ports on the router, and the computer close to that is plugged directly into one of the ports.
The other two (the kitchen one and DW's laptop ) are on the wi-fi throgh the router.
People say the router is slow, but nano seconds are not gonna bother me.

Gosh...I remember when we first got the computer (trashed by now)...we had a local dial- up server here in town, and AOL. OMG what a disaster. The modem in the computer would go ta ta ta ta ta..ta ta .ta at .ta at at ta ta ta t...and then we would get AOL. When we used AOL I got a bill for a extra 33.00...I was like WTH...???

It was for line phone charges to long distance web sites.. That was the end of that.

I then went to (I don't even know if they are still around) Earth Link. that was another disaster at that time.

then it was Verizon..and because of the bad outdated phone wires on the poles in the area...I kept losing the connections.
now with Comcast ....It seem to be OK..But Boy with the TV and Phone and Internet..It costs a fortune. I pay like ..287.00 a month. that sucks big time.

If Comcast wanted to impose that amount of dough for the service such as I now have, then I'd have to let something go, such as the phone sevice.

Several years ago, I had Verizon DSL Internet, and boy, what a piece of crap THAT was!!! I could right a book on it!!

That service was so ridiculously problematic that one day, I just became fed up with it, for I was not happy using it at all!!!

They wanted their money, but they weren't giving me the kind of sevice that I should have gotten!! The $100 assessment / penalty charge, they wanted to impose on me because I canceled out before the year was up. Told them that they weren't getting it because of all the problems that I was having with them!!

Comcast, after a while, didn't fare much better! They were using new technology with outdated antiquated dinosaur equipment!! Whe digital cable finally came to the Boston area a year or two after the turn of the century, they were offering it to subscribers, but they didn't replace the old 400-mega htz splitters with newer 1000-mhtz ones, and so, the old splitters were rusted and eaten up, causing tiles on the TV screens every time after a heavy rain!! Fought with them for about 18 months on that issue! They finally replaced the splitters, and the TV reception problems had went away!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have one too. It is my third. The first was a cheapo linksys 29.00 one.
The second one was better, but it kept cutting out and losing the signals.
I found out after fruitless checks...that the power source was dropping the output of 5.3 VDC to 2.3VDC.. I replaced the power supply (just a little plug in power transformer pack 120 to DV volt.
I now have a TP link hooked up. It works great, but it loses talk between the comcast modem once in a while. All I do is unplug both, and reconnect so they can Sync.

I have a printer though, that is a host from one PC desktop. That is a pain; because I have to keep that computer on all the time. If it goes to the sleep mode, I can't print from my other two computers in the house. DW's is a Laptop, and mine is a desktop in the kitchen on the counter. This way I could cook and play on the computer at the same time.

I have what they call a Printer Server Router, and I still have to set that up for printing without having the Host computer on all the time.

I have comcast...but there is no free router in their services here in NJ.
I even have to rent the Modem. Grrrrrrr!!!!

I only have trouble with connections when it is raining and windy for some reason. Not with my Network router etc. , but the internet through the Comcast server provider.

I paid absolutely nothing for the router itself. The only thiong that I paid for, in this case, is the S&H cost, which was only $9.95. The router is free and so is the service.

But on the Amtrack Acela and in some hotels, wi-fi is slow as crap!!! Almost like using dial-up!!

And when the train enters tunnals, suach as in NYC, NJ & Baltimore, your signal is cut off.

But still, wi-fi is a far cry from dial-up. Seems that very few people use that service now. I've stopped using it in '03!!:)