Grilled foods upsetting our stomachs....

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I'm sorry to be all TMI on you ppl, but we bought an expensive-for-us gas grill and we love it. Every Sunday we bbq..and every Sunday PM we have tummy trouble.

Could I ask if anyone knows if the following grilled foods are hard on the stomach?

Grilled carrot
Grilled red potatoes
Grilled red and or green peppers
Grilled mushrooms (any kinds)
Grilled peaches
Grilled red or yellow onions
Grilled tomatoes (grape or plum)

THANKS !

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
maybe you ate too much... not being a smart a$$ here

grilling is one of the healthiest ways to cook, usually no added fat, and most of the fat gets cooked off

the food u described will be just great to grill

chowhound

I don't think it's the grilled food, Moose.
Maybe you're overdoing the seasonings?
Is this your first attempt at grilling a whole meal?
It's not TMI. We need more "I" :^)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i also grill baby zucchini's,baby yellow squash,red onions

i cut up to desired size, put in a big bowl, drizzle some olive oil on it, sprinkle some fajita seasoning on it, black pepper and grill

2rcqs0o.jpg

27zysrt.jpg

15o9pjt.jpg

68yic6.jpg

FryBoy

Raw veggies are difficult to digest, especially in large quantities. Make sure everything is well done. Many people have a tendency to take the veggies off the grill as soon as they see grill marks. They're much better if you allow them to cook completely (i.e., They should be as soft as indoor-cooked veggies) and carmelize a bit (the brown stuff is what makes grilling worth the effort).

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I'm sorry to be all TMI on you ppl, but we bought an expensive-for-us gas grill and we love it. Every Sunday we bbq..and every Sunday PM we have tummy trouble.

Could I ask if anyone knows if the following grilled foods are hard on the stomach?

Grilled carrot
Grilled red potatoes
Grilled red and or green peppers
Grilled mushrooms (any kinds)
Grilled peaches
Grilled red or yellow onions
Grilled tomatoes (grape or plum)

THANKS !

Well, we all don't eat everything. And no, we don't stuff ourselves. dh and i are will into our 40's, could that be a culprit ?

GotGarlic

Well, we all don't eat everything. And no, we don't stuff ourselves. dh and i are will into our 40's, could that be a culprit ?

My DH and I are well into our 40s, too, but we don't have problems with grilled food. Are you grilling meats, too, or just veggies? Is there a possibility of cross-contamination of raw veggies with raw meats?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I dob't think anything could be cross contaminated. I pretty much remove everything from the fridge, marinate it, and send it out to the grill.

The meat is either a chicken breast (cutlet) or sometimes chicken thighs. Occasionally we do hotdogs and burgers, but they're so full of fillers, I'm sure there's not a lot of red meat in there !

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well my wife and I are in our 60's and love grilled foods so don't think the your age would be the problem. Other than that I can't be much help as I've never heard of a problem like this.

Love2"Q"

maybe its been said ...
do you usually eat a lot of veggies ...
sometimes that can be a shock to the system ..

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Yes, we do eat a lot of veggies. We mostly eat salads, chicken, pretty healthy stuff.

Maybe we should hit the beano and forget it. :(

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I've never tried grilling vegetables before but that really looks like a very interesting tecnique and even looks delicious.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
With exception of peaches and tomatoes, just about eveything you mentioned falls into the extremely gassy category when cooked. The question has been asked, but I don't think answered. Do you experience the same problems when you cook these foods in the house on the stove?

Chicken, while considered a healthful food, if mishandled, is extremely hazardous. You run a serious risk if the chicken is not cooked properly on that grill. Is it being held at 40 degrees until you put it on the grill? Are you cooking it to 160 degrees? Are the raw vegetables coming into contact with the chicken before it's been fully cooked? Are you using the same tongs you turned the chicken with to handle the vegetables?

Is it possible there is a bit of gas leaking from the tank which you could be inhaling while you are cooking? Are you nauseous or is it something else?

buckytom

Grill Master
i agree that too many veggies takes a little getting used to, and they should be cooked through if you're having problems.

today's history lesson: the men of the voyage of discovery (lewis and clark's boys) experienced a lot of problems when they reached the mandan villages in the pacific northwest. they were pretty hungry, but after days of eating roots, berries, and veggies that the mandan had shared with them, they all had gotten "the wind" so badly that they requested the slaughter of a horse so they could eat some meat to settle their stomachs.
they seasoned it with gunpowder (the main ingredient in biskit's beef rub) because it had a salty taste from the saltpeter.

Steak4Me

Red onions tear my stomach up. It didn't really start until I hit my 40s.

Someone else raised a valid point when they questioned if it happens when you cook indoors. Make the same meal indoors and if it has the same effect, it's the food. If not, it's something about how you're cooking it. Eliminate suspect items until the problem goes away to figure out which is causing it. I seriously doubt it's simply because the food is grilled. I noticed a fair amount of char on the burger in your photo. If you're over-cooking something until it's blackened, that cAbe a problem.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I spoke to my dr and he said that some gas is normal. The thing is that dh and i like to eat healthfully and it seems like a diet based on greens and whole grains is or can be hard on the stomach ....

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Does it happen every single time you grill, and have you tried different meat and vegetable combinations this year?

The only time grilled food has ever upset my stomach was when my brother added Kitchen Bouquet to some t-bones last summer.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
.....and yes, it was fine. Dogs and burgers with buns, and potato salad. One kabob of onions and grilled pineapple for dessert.

Thanks all !!!

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
It's amazing what you figure out. When I strted eating low fat, many years ago, I developed more cavities - and I gained weight.

This time around, to keep weight off, I went low carb. You see what a disaster THAT was !