Smoking a turkey breast?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have a turkey breast I would like to smoke. I have a Nordic ware stovetop/indoor smoker. I will be using mesquite smoke chips. At what temperature and for how long would I smoke 7 1/2lb.?

Thanks in advance.

Dogboa

How are you going to ventilate the smoke? I have quite a bit of smoking experience, but none done indoors. In my pit, on the Egg or Weber kettle I try to shoot for 225 F smoking temp and 160 F internal temp. I've never really based doneness on time. Be very careful with mesquite, it can leave a very bitter taste. Are you brining the breast before smoking and are you going to use a glaze to finish?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep,

Although conventional thinking says 225 degrees for 5 hours, or until the internal temp. is 165 degrees, I like to run my smoker higher, about 275 for turkey breasts. I don't think poultry benefits too much for low and slow cooking.

Are you planning on injecting it or brining it? I much prefer injecting it.

Also, have you used mesquite for smoking before? I tried it once and took the chunk off the smoker immediately because I hated the smell of it! Guess it's an acquired taste.

Poultry takes on smoke flavor easily, so it's best not to overdo the wood.

Lee

(just saw Dogboa's answer after posting mine! :) )

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I usually use a combo of hickory and mesquite with applewood added sometimes. We like mesquite flavor. We usually buy mesquite smoked breast at the deli.

There are vents on the top of the dome lid and a hole to place thermometer in.
No brine, no injection, no glaze. Just seasoning on skin.

I was going to smoke then place in oven on convection roast to crisp skin.

Last edited: