Basic Italian Bread

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Basic Italian Bread
From the kitchen of: Joe Valencic

Ingredients:
2 Cups water, lukewarm, 110-115 F (16 oz.)
2 1/2 teaspoons Instant Yeast
5 3/4 Cups bread flour (1# 13 oz.)
1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar (Regular brown sugar works fine)
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Egg white, lightly beaten with cold water
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds

Directions:
Mix flour, salt and yeast in a bowl and blend ingredients so they mix well. Using a dough hook attachment, add the flour and brown sugar to the water and mix on low speed until the dough starts to form. Drizzle the oil into the dough and beat on medium speed for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a smooth, firm, elastic dough is formed. (At this point I take it out and hand knead, adding flour if needed, for 5 minutes or until I’m happy with the texture of the dough. You want it smooth, not sticky.)

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and spray the dough with a thin coating of cooking spray. Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap (I use plastic shopping bags instead of wasting plastic wrap. Put the bowl in the bag and tuck the handles underneath to keep out any breeze) and set aside to proof in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to hour or until doubled in size.

Remove the plastic wrap (bag), punch down and flatten the rounded dough with the heel of your hand, and split into two equal pieces. Roll the dough up tightly, sealing the seam well. The dough should be elongated and oval-shaped, with tapered and rounded (not pointed) ends. You can also take 1/2 of the dough, divide it into three pieces and roll them into long ropes about 12" long. Pinch the ends together then braid the three pieces. Pinch the ends and tuck under the loaf on both ends.

Preheat the oven lined with a pizza stone to 400 F for at least 20 minutes. Alternately, an inverted baking sheet may be used in place of a pizza stone.

Place the dough on a baker's peel heavily dusted with semolina flour, or cornmeal, or alternately on an inverted baking sheet. (I use parchment paper on my peel dusted with cornmeal, so I can slide it all onto my pizza stone) Allow the dough to proof, loosely covered with sprayed plastic (I cut up the bag) and a dishtowel, for about one hour, or until doubled in size. Brush the dough with the egg white and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top. Using a razor blade or sharp knife, score 3 (1/4-inch deep) slashes across the top of the dough at a 45 degree angle.

Spray the dough with water from a water bottle and place in the oven on the baking stone. Immediately close the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Open the oven door and spray the dough again with the water bottle. Close the oven door and bake for an additional 3 minutes before spraying the dough for a third time (the spraying of the dough will ensure a crisp golden brown crust). Bake the dough for 30 minutes, or until a hollow thud is heard when the bread is whacked with the bowl of a wooden spoon.

Bread should have internal temperature of at least 200 F. Allow the bread to cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.

bread101108-2.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh wow! You really made that??? That looks so "professional". Crap, it looks better than "store bought"! Damn, I am impressed! Do you take orders and ship to the continental US???? :yum:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Oh wow! You really made that??? That looks so "professional". Crap, it looks better than "store bought"! Damn, I am impressed! Do you take orders and ship to the continental US???? :yum:

Keltin, a year ago, Joe decided to teach himself how to make bread and he has taken to it just has he has fly fishing! His pictures are amazing--look for more of his posts. And, he is constantly gifting breads to his church and his customers. These are things he wouldn't tell you himself bug he is always helping out another person. Barb (homecook) loves his bread and is always saying how amazing it is.

I have shared a few recipes with him and even those pictures of a brand new recipe came out bakery perfect.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Thanks for the compliment. No, I don't take orders. Just for the record, we're both in the CONUS. (You been drinkin' tonight? I have!):yum: Velvet on the rocks.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the compliment. No, I don't take orders. Just for the record, we're both in the CONUS. (You been drinkin' tonight? I have!):yum: Velvet on the rocks.

Well, maybe a dumb question, but what is CONUS?

And yeah, I just poured myself a shot! :yum:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That looks realy good!! Wish I could make bread like that... I will give the recipe a try, hopefully it will turn out good... thought I am sure not as good as yours!
Thanks for posting!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well, maybe a dumb question, but what is CONUS?

And yeah, I just poured myself a shot! :yum:

Sorry, too many years in the Air Force:

CONtinental

United

States

Oh, and I'm getting another three fingers after posting the rye bread recipe. Cheers!:alc:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That looks realy good!! Wish I could make bread like that... I will give the recipe a try, hopefully it will turn out good... thought I am sure not as good as yours!
Thanks for posting!

My Mother (rest her soul) used to say....

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, put them together and see what you get.

Anyone who WANTS to learn to bake bread, CAN bake bread. Just step out in faith and make that first loaf. You'll be amazed at how incredibly easy it is.

Everyone has a first day at baking bread. Will today be yours?

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Bread has become that one kitchen product that seems to always wow the crowd. No one expects it anymore. It's quite rewarding to bake loaves for friends and family. Highly recommended to everyone.