• Grinder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post the name you like)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

PanchoHambre

To me the distinction is both regional and based on the assembly/Bread

From the main placed I lived sandwiches were called and assembled as such:

A Hoagie is on a long soft roll and the filling is placed across the open bread and the pressed in with a knife when the sandwich is folded so it sort of forms a V with the toppings in the middle of the meat - This is the predominant sandwich in Philadelphia

A Hero or Wedge is on Italian-Style bread and the filings are layered on the bottom and then the sandwich is closed so the toppings are on top of the meat - This is the predominant format in NY

A PoBoy is on french bread - This is what you generally got in Houston

I am unsure on the "Grinder" it seems to be a variation on the Hoagie but with hot filling like Chicken Parm

I voted Hoagie because I live in Phily so that's pretty much what you get

PanchoHambre

To me the distinction is both regional and based on the assembly/Bread

From the main placed I lived sandwiches were called and assembled as such:

A Hoagie is on a long soft roll and the filling is placed across the open bread and the pressed in with a knife when the sandwich is folded so it sort of forms a V with the toppings in the middle of the meat - This is the predominant sandwich in Philadelphia

A Hero or Wedge is on Italian-Style bread and the filings are layered on the bottom and then the sandwich is closed so the toppings are on top of the meat - This is the predominant format in NY

A PoBoy is on french bread - This is what you generally got in Houston

I am unsure on the "Grinder" it seems to be a variation on the Hoagie but with hot filling like Chicken Parm

Lefty

Yank
I voted sub, being from NYC, but we also called them heros. They call them italians in Maine.

The Tourist

Banned
In Madison, Wisconsin just about everyone calls large sandwiches "submarines," or just plain 'subs.' So do I.

My Dad, obviously being older, referred to any large sandwich as a "Dagwood."

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mainly subs here, but we also have Po' Boys, but those are typically for seafood only such as a Shrimp or Oyster Po' Boy.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
subs

but it depends on where i am what i am making

a shrimp sub doesnt sound as good as a shrimp po'boy

a fried oyster sub doesnt sound as good as a Oyster Po Boy..lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It really depends since I don't make a lot of large sandwiches we make more panini type here which are about the size of a conventional sandwich. We do occasionally make a Philly steak type sandwich as well as Cuban sandwiches.