Lava rocks in a gas grill...

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Will they help prevent flareups? I have deflectors in there, but once the drips hit them I get pretty bad flareups.

High Cheese

Saucier
Nothing really prevents flare-ups. I keep a small squirt bottle handy when I'm cooking fatty foods like chicken thighs or real thick ribeyes. Those rocks just help evening out the heat. You can get those bottles from the beauty supply isle, work great for mops too.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Brats are really bad. They will squirt grease through pinholes in the casing like a continuous squirt bottle stream! It's hard to keep up sometimes.

I found these tiles that someone recommended on another forum, but they are costly, and I'm wanting to go cheap. Anything that reduces flare-ups would help.

K

Kimchee

I have to agree with High Cheese. Anything you put in the grill is going to heat up
enough to ignite the grease/oil when it drips. If it doesn't, then you might not be
getting the heat you want/need to grill properly.

Get inventive with your squirt bottle, and add a bit of smoke flavoring, or apple juice
or other aromatics. Then, when you put out the flare ups, you are adding a little hint
of flavor! (And if not, it still adds to your Grill Master mystique, LOLOL!)

High Cheese

Saucier
I actually like flare ups sometimes. I even place some chunks of wood between the grates and the burners then place a fat oozing piece of meat on top to get a nice flare up. Helps sear. Become One with the grill. lmao

phreak

About 83.7% of the time I grill using indirect heat, only using direct heat in the beginning or at the end for searing.