ISO Ranchero Sauce Tex-Mex style

PanchoHambre

My weekend project is re-creating another one of my Taqueria Tex-Mex favorites (to be disclosed and posted later)... For this I need a good Ranchero Sauce recipe. I have never made my own Ranchero.

Here is the main thing I cannot figure out.... Yea or Nay on Tomato. I have been looking around some recipes are tomato heavy some have none at all.

C'mon you Texans Help a Yankee out!:clap: I will give you credit in my recipe:mrgreen:

PanchoHambre

So far this is the most convincing recipe:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]RANCHERO SAUCE[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Greta and William L. Arrington
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Rocking Chair Ranch, Pampa, Texas[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Makes about 4 cups[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ranchero Sauce is an important ingredient in Huevos Rancheros, but also hits the bull�s-eye when served with grilled steaks or pork chops. This recipe makes a large batch, and it freezes well.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small stalk celery, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-oz.) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
1 (4-oz.) can chopped mild green chile peppers, drained
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons sweet or hot Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce, or to taste
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1.[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic and cook, covered, until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]2. Add the tomatoes with their juices, green chiles, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, paprika, oregano and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened and the tomato juices are almost evaporated, about 30 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce. Serve the sauce hot, warm or at room temperature. (The sauce can be prepared up to 5 days ahead, cooled, covered and refrigerated. Reheat gently before serving.)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Recipes: Copyright� 1995 the National Cowboy Hall of Fame
[/FONT]
I thought this would be an easy one as it is a ubiquitous sauce

lots of strange versions out there

This one looks good too

Can't find much consistency ARGH I did not eat much Ranchero because I HATE Huevos Rancheros but I need a good sauce for this dish

:bump:

simplicity

Okay, well I don't have enough time to drive to the taqueria this morning but I did have time to make a couple of phone calls. Their number is 713-521-3144. I phoned, briefly explained and asked if they would supply a recipe. He said that was the owner's decision. You can contact the owner via email at g.torres@ yahoo.com.

Good luck. If you get the recipe you owe me one margarita without salt.

PanchoHambre

:applause:LOL Simplicity I was kidding.... I will shoot him an email... restaurants don't like to give up their secrets though...LOL! they probably used canned stuff or something.

Is it Tapatia you called.... that was the first place I ever had real Tex-Mex... stumblin drunk the first week of freshman year... probably 2AM... one bite of Quesadilla Camaron and I knew something was different....

simplicity

Yes, I knew you were joking, and yes it was the Taqueria Tapatia I called and Yes, as a former Yankee, for better or worse, I know we do things a bit differently here. Shoot him an e-mail - nothing to lose. And I'm still holding out in hopes of getting that margarita.:)