ISO quick Red Velvet Cake recipe

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had my heart set (no pun intended) on making my first Red Velvet Cake this Sunday, Valentine's Day.

But I have to work. So I still want to make one when I get home, but from a mix.

Can I just get some sort of chocolate cake mix and add red food coloring? Or something?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Suzi and Chocolate, thank you!

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to know! I will look for the red vevet mix in the box, but if unsuccessful, will fall back on the recipe in the link Suzi posted. I am going to make that frosting recipe, in either case! Yumm!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Every once in awhile you can find a straight-up red velvet mix...... if you can't I found this....
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/easy-red-velvet-cake/465a4893-8208-4753-9802-fa2c51d6379f

hth! :)

Suzi, I made the cake mix Red Velvet cake in the link you posted and it came out pretty good! Tasted great, but I was hoping for a redder finished product.

The batter was as red as ketchup, and the cake as it was cooling, was still pretty reddish. But after I frosted it and cut it, it looked quite a bit more chocolatey.

Thanks for the link - it was easy and tasted wonderful!

Lee

Attachments

• Red velvet cake.JPG
    Red velvet cake.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Red velvet cake sliced.JPG
    Red velvet cake sliced.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Lee,

If you want to do it again, I make a mean Red Velvet cake from scratch. Let me know and I'll give you the recipe.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SilverSage, yes, please, I would love your recipe!

Suzi, your's looked NICE and red!!

Thank you both!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I'm going to try this again for Valentine's Day, but I'm going to make cupcakes.

Will post pictures.

Lee