Getting a jump on monday's dinner...........

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
My Amish butcher came through today....... I'll be doing up this fly-swatter, either braising them, or making the Neeley's Oxtail Stew, on Monday..............................comments or suggestions are welcome till then .............:idea:

Oxtails001.jpg

Oxtails002.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I've never had Oxtail before...what's it like? :huh:

I haven't had any of it's various manifestations since my early years.........
It is another stop on my "return to the Roots" cooking experience.......
Having said that, it must be like any other beef cut, but more muscular , lol !:chef:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My one experience with oxtails: cooked right, they are very tender (fall off the bone tender) and tasty, but there's a ton of fat that floats to the top and has to be spooned off after/during cooking

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd go with the stew!

Cooksie is right - they are slow cooked and fall apart, like beef shanks or even a pot roast. Only MUCH richer! Delicious!

I have made it a bunch of times, but this is not my photo - got it off the 'net.

Lee

Attachments

• oxtail-stew-22.jpg
    oxtail-stew-22.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 112

Deelady

Oooh lovely! One of my favorites but unfortunately I can never find good cuts of it at a decent price in a quantity that would avoid having to buy 3-4 packages of it, and then the packages always have one or two good sized ones and the rest are rinky dinky with no meat on them. Best bet is to get it direct from a butcher and it looks like you bought the cream of the crop!! ENJOY them!!
Stew or soup was always my favorite way to make them.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Oooh lovely! One of my favorites but unfortunately I can never find good cuts of it at a decent price in a quantity that would avoid having to buy 3-4 packages of it, and then the packages always have one or two good sized ones and the rest are rinky dinky with no meat on them. Best bet is to get it direct from a butcher and it looks like you bought the cream of the crop!! ENJOY them!!
Stew or soup was always my favorite way to make them.

I wish I had thought to carry a camera with me ; when the gentleman brought the oxtail out of the reefer, it was all in one piece !
He sectioned it for me.:thumb:

buckytom

Grill Master
you didn't ask to hold the tail before he butchered it? c'mon, lt.

i would have tucked it into the belt in the back of my pants and walked around all swishy (sorta like biskit), just to see how what it was liked. :)

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
:yum: ................but it was already skinned, and FROZEN, BT................................now, picture THAT !:whistling:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
You are a sick puppy, BT ........................................ (are we related somehow, do you think ?)

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, yes. :yum: i think a few of us are.

i'm expecting buzz to chime in here, like our uncle who retired to florida.