time for simplicity

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Doc -

just typed out a long involved message in response to another post.

apparently I 'touched" some key or some button or some mouse-over link or some other really bad piece of programming - which sent the whole thing into some 'show html code' mode.

I could not find any escape or return.

when I did get out of that mess, reply all gone.

it's not the first time.
you might want to conduct a poll and find out how many users need to switch to html code mode.
then, finding that one in ten thousand find this useful, eliminate that option from the messaging software.

type a reply, the only options are post it - or cancel

and a confirmation required to cancel.
life is way too short to do everything twice or thrice to keep idiot software happy.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have lost long replies / posts before. Mainly when using a laptop and hitting the mouse pad or button ...or hitting backspace to delete a character and it takes me back a whole browser page. So agrivating.
I guess I've never found the button you are talking of. I have to wonder if it is more of a button feature of whatever browser you are using more than the forum software. If others have seen this or have a clue how I can reproduce it please chime in. I am at a loss.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Control + U will put you in show page source mode. You should be able to close that though.

There is another option {inspect - Ctrl+Shft+I} that lets you see even more techie stuff. That can also be closed easily. Depending on which browser you are using, IE has a key sequence that really takes over the page and is not as easy to cancel.

It's all frustrating. These days, I do much more on my phone as it is always with me (He said the day after forgetting it). With that, just touching the outside in the wrong place or time and frustrate the heck out of me. For anything long or significant, I go to one of my desktops. There, I only have to deal with my bad spelling, grammar and burning need to hit send without proofreading.

Anyway, if we are polling, that is my 2¢ worth.

In summary, all I can blame is myself.

cents symbol = ALT+0162 LOL

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
dunno. the alt-u brings it up in a new tab - what I'm seeing is a window within the forum below the compose box.

iffin' I knew how I was doing it, I'd stop . . .

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I looked but do not see an option to turn it off. HTML is disabled on the forum as we could be hacked that way. VB software comes with that as a recommended default. I will continue looking when I can and let you know if I stumble on it. Anyone else please do the same if you stumble on it.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Chowder - if you are running win 7 or beyond, you can do a ctrl+R and type in snippingtool with that you can do a screen grab. Post it or email it to me and I will try to find it for you.