Steamed Burgers

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have never had a steamed burger, but I just saw an episode of man vs food where Adam is in Connecticut at a place famous for their steamed burgers.

They have a special steam cabinet for the burgers and the cheese and wow :wow: do they look good.

The owner said steaming keeps in the flavor but lets out some of the fats and oils that we seal inside when grilling or frying. He dumps the fats off before putting the burger on the bun, but since it was steamed it is still more juicy than regular burgers and leaner according to the owner of TED's Restaurant just outside of Hartford Conn.

Sure sounds interesting to me.

Has anyone ever tried steaming a burger at home? If so what did you use and how did it come out?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I saw that episode too, but I've never tried it. The cheese looks really good, but the burger looks so gray that it isn't very appealing to me. I'll give it a :thumb: for the juicy factor though.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoivxhC8Og[/ame]

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree the cheese looks great and ...that is a big part of what makes it look so good to me. They sure were crowded though so they must taste good. Been making them that way since 59.

I have only been in White Castle a couple of times but I thought I saw them put a pan lid over the burger on a grill. Not positive but that is my best recollection.

When our kids were growing up none of us cared for White Castle, if they were not behaving we would threaten to take them to while castle for dinner. Of course we never did. We thought it was funny but we talked to them about it since and they did not think it funny. Kids. :yum:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info ChowderMan. :thumb:

And I have to admit they look good. I moved 100 miles from the big city 15 years ago, and had not had a slider for a few years before moving. i had come around to think they were okay, but I was never crazy about them. Still some of my coworkers at the time would go out drinking and on the way home after their night out would stop for some sliders. :yum: I never understood that but some make a tradition of doing just that. :pat:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
heehee. I know last time I had one - summer of 1962.

White Castle was the teenage "hangout" of the day - my brother used to drag me down there.