Whats cooking Sunday 12/26/10?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
The plan at the moment is leftover roast beef and burgundy gravy with fresh yorkshire pudding, stuffed mushrooms and a salad.

And probably hot cocoa while watching the blizzard out my window. LOL

Your plans?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Can't say yet...plenty of leftovers but not in the mood for any of them. We're open today at the restaurant so I don't think I'll be cooking tonight, anyway. Kind of in the mood for pizza...

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Can't say yet...plenty of leftovers but not in the mood for any of them. We're open today at the restaurant so I don't think I'll be cooking tonight, anyway. Kind of in the mood for pizza...
Hello Vera. Have you had any luck in your quest for an acceptable pizza down there? I think it's the dough and sauce that makes the pizza. Down south the bread and sauce just isn't "NYC" enough.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wow, one could almost take offense to that :lol: but on the other hand, I think we're glad we're not "NYC" enough :lol:

Seriously, though, I think it's just like with any other part of the country, you have to find the right spots. When you live in an area long enough, you know where the best places are but when you are new to an area, you have to explore. It would be like me going to NYC and trying to find what I consider to be good cornbread. I'm sure you'll find a pizza place that you will like in NO. If not, maybe you should add pizza to your menu :w00t:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Wow, one could almost take offense to that :lol: but on the other hand, I think we're glad we're not "NYC" enough :lol:

Seriously, though, I think it's just like with any other part of the country, you have to find the right spots. When you live in an area long enough, you know where the best places are but when you are new to an area, you have to explore. It would be like me going to NYC and trying to find what I consider to be good cornbread. I'm sure you'll find a pizza place that you will like in NO. If not, maybe you should add pizza to your menu :w00t:
My aunt has lived in Arizona for 20 years and you CAN'T find "NYC/Jersey" style Italian bread anywhere. Thats kind of what I meant. She also can't find pepperoni or farmer cheese out there. And some other deli meats/cheeses and dry/fresh sausage. They just don't have them. Like Vera said that her one supplier (not sure for what) was located in Clifton, NJ. Other parts of the country don't have a big enough call for something so they don't carry it.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I was just kiddin' with ya Peeps. Every part of the country has something special and unique to offer....that's what makes the wonderful country that we are Blessed to be able to call home so great!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I was just kiddin' with ya Peeps. Every part of the country has something special and unique to offer....that's what makes the wonderful country that we are Blessed to be able to call home so great!
YUP!! The first time we drove to Florida we stayed in GA. I tell you the flavor of the eggs was outrageously good!! I have no clue what they fed the chickens down there or if they are free range but those eggs were fantastic!! Also the meal used for the cornbread and grits is better than what we get up north!!

On the other hand I was stuck in the hospital in Arizona for 7 days and the dairy especially the milk was NASTY!! The milk had an "earthy" flavor which had to be due to what the cows are fed. Let me clarify - it tasted nasty TO ME.

GotGarlic

We have lots of leftover pork carnitas and rice, so the plan is stuffed green bell peppers with tomato sauce; I'm also thawing a tomatillo-serrano salsa I made during the summer from garden veggies. DH and Dad want to have split-pea soup with it, which DH made in the slow cooker yesterday. I'll probably have a green salad.

We have a neighborhood pizza joint that has the best NYC-style pizza I've had, including that in NYC. The owner moved down here from NYC and brought his crispy crust and yummy red sauce with him. This area is a popular vacation spot for Northerners, so they frequently retire here, or just move down for the lower cost of living.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We have lots of leftover pork carnitas and rice, so the plan is stuffed green bell peppers with tomato sauce; I'm also thawing a tomatillo-serrano salsa I made during the summer from garden veggies. DH and Dad want to have split-pea soup with it, which DH made in the slow cooker yesterday. I'll probably have a green salad.

We have a neighborhood pizza joint that has the best NYC-style pizza I've had, including that in NYC. The owner moved down here from NYC and brought his crispy crust and yummy red sauce with him. This area is a popular vacation spot for Northerners, so they frequently retire here, or just move down for the lower cost of living.
And yankees HAVE to get their "NYC" pizza fix!! :tongue: LOL

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm not even going to comment on the availability of New York style pizza here, except to say that we have Domino's and Pizza Hut and a handful of hopeful entrepeneurs who make their pizza with catsup. "Nuff said.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'm not even going to comment on the availability of New York style pizza here, except to say that we have Domino's and Pizza Hut and a handful of hopeful entrepeneurs who make their pizza with catsup. "Nuff said.
YIKES!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
It IS scary. To stay on the subject, though, we're having the last of the leftover turkey, dressing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, fruit salad, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It IS scary. To stay on the subject, though, we're having the last of the leftover turkey, dressing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, fruit salad, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.
I want a turkey breast sammie with dressing, LOTS of lettuce and some mayo please.

lilylove

Not sure.. might get around to making those fajitas...

What I really want is a huge dish of the potatoes I made for last nights potluck. Out of all the food there and there was a lot, My scalloped potatoes were the only thing that was all the way gone! :) They were really delish!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Not sure.. might get around to making those fajitas...

What I really want is a huge dish of the potatoes I made for last nights potluck. Out of all the food there and there was a lot, My scalloped potatoes were the only thing that was all the way gone! :) They were really delish!

So tell us what you do to your scalloped potatoes to make them so special. Potatoes aren't my strong suit (chocolate is), so I could use help.

lilylove

As requested.... :)
I don't really have a recipe but this is how I do it.

warm up milk and melt some butter in it. (REAL BUTTER) add some pressed garlic.
Cook for awhile and then let cool.

Peel and slice as many potatoes as you need.
Cube up some already cooked ham.
Slice some onions very very thinly
shread lots of cheddar cheese.

Lay a layer of potatoes down in a large bowl
Top with some onions, ham, cheese, salt and pepper.

Dust with a half handful of flour.
Top with a little bit of cubed butter
Pour a little milk mixture on top.

Repeat until you run out of everything.

Mix it all up really well and pour into a large baking pan.

Bake coverd for 45 minutes at 375
Remove lid and
Top with more cheese, turn oven up to 400 degrees and bake until cheese is melted and crispy. 10 minutes or so.

If the potatoes look too dry you can add extra milk

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
122610_eye_round.jpg

122610_stuffed_mushrooms.jpg

122610_yorkshire_pudding.jpg

Leftover eye round roast (room temp) with hot burgundy gravy, Yorkshire pudding and stuffed mushrooms.

122610_roast_mushrooms_yorkshire_pudding.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh my Peeps! That beef is beautiful!
Thank you Mama. I always serve leftover roast at room temp with hot gravy so it doesn't get over cooked reheating. The last of leftover roast does get cooked as hash then thats ok.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's a good idea Peeps!

We had leftovers from our family Christmas Eve dinner so we ate those for dinner yesterday and Christmas dinner was postponed until today.

Attachments

• dinner12262010.jpg
    dinner12262010.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 107

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
That's what I say "Oh Mama!!" That looks wonderful!

We had leftovers: Ham, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy and Green Beans.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
YUMMY Bams!! What flavor jelly is that? Or is it caranberry sauce?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Mama, that turkey looks so moist! Beautiful plate of food.

You all make leftovers look like a first go-around. We had leftovers, too. Prime Rib and brussels sprouts. When I reheat the rib, I try to be careful not to cook it any more. Let it sit out for a little while to come to room temp. Then put just a tad of oil in a hot skillet. Lay the thick slice of meat in the oil for just about 30 seconds per side. It will just warm a bit, but the center will still be nice and pink.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks SS! Whenever I cook just the breast, I cook it at 350 for an hour and then turn it down to 225 and cook until it reaches 162. It takes hours but it makes an extremely moist turkey breast.

Thanks for the tip on reheating the prime rib!