Super Simple Grilled Corn

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a corn on the cob snob. Usually, I won't buy it until the local stuff is ready, and I have to buy it at the farm. Means I don't eat it often.

But when I do get some, I drop it in boiling water (with a sprinkle of sugar in it) for no more than 6 minutes. Perfect! Tender, juicy, and bursting with corn flavor.

However, supermarket corn was only 19 cents an ear this week, so I decided to try grilled corn for the first time.

Wanted to try an easy technique, which wouldn't mask the flavor. So, I did this one http://www.food.com/recipe/super-simple-grilled-corn-on-the-cob-no-foil-no-husks-245576?photo=92826

Could not be easier! Used a friend's gas grill.

It was good - strong corn flavor, nice char flavor, too. Most people would love it.

But nothing can beat steamed, fresh corn.

Lee

:corn:

Attachments

• Grilled corn.JPG
    Grilled corn.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 128
K

Kimchee

Try soaking the ears, husk on, in water for an hour or so.
Then just toss them on the grill, husk on, and rotate a quarter turn every 5 to 7 minutes,
depending on the heat.
I toss them in a paper bag afterwards until everything else is grilled.
Steamed, grilled and delicious.

Guts

We used to grill corn with the husk on, first soaking it in water (actually salt water from the ocean) but I do remember removing the silk first.. In other words you have to peel back the husk and remove the silk and then replace the husk using a thread of husk to tie the husk back in place. If you don't remove the silk you're asking for disaster when grilling corn. After the corn was grilled and heated we would pull back the husk to get a little color on the corn.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
curious on the silk thing - for boiling I usually lop off the stalk & tip end and boil the ears in the husk, , , because, , , the silk is wet&soppy and comes off much easier than de-silking the ears 'raw' - shucking from the tip most of the silks "stick" to the husk.

I also do the soak-in-water-then-on-the-(lump charcoal)-grill thing - makes for a lovely flavor. and same with the silk there (the ears are basically steamed in the husk...)

starting at the tip where the silk strands are bunched up, they come off / collect quite readily

Johnny West

I grill corn on the cob wrapped in bacon and should do it soon.
I'll see if I can find a picture from the past.

Thanks for the reminder.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm I hope you can find a pic.
So no foil or anything on the outside, just the bacon around the corn. Interesting.

I've done naked corn on the grill w/ butter and tarpon brushed on. Very good. Bacon could only make it better. :thumb:

Johnny West ...I bumped the naked corn thread for you. Check it out.

Johnny West

Here you go Doc. I've not done this for a few years but will again this weekend.

file_3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

file-1_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]