I hate my Calphalon saute pan

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got it as a gift years ago, and I've TRIED to like it, but I am ready to give it away. :angry:

Everything sticks. I just tried to brown some mushed up hash browns and all the "brown" stuck to the bottom. Can't cook bacon or eggs in it, either -they stick, too, and it's beotch to clean afterwards.

And the bottom doesn't sit flat on my glass top burner.

I love my non-stick and cast iron pans. Is there a reason (that I'm missing) to keep the Calphalon?

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have heard this before about some of the Calphalon pans. If it aluminum with stainless clad on the inside then it can't be that different basically that the clad pans I use as far as cooking goes and with them you need to preheat the pan, add oil/butter or some other source of fat then bring the pan up to cooking temp before putting in the food. It will need to be deglazed after use for meats etc before cleaning. The other problem you mentions is warping which I have also heard is a problem with all there pans in that they are simply too thin and can't handle high heats. I use non stick for eggs, bacon etc all of which don't require even medium heats as I never take them above a medium heat. Also with non stick add the oil etc while pan is cold then bring it to cooking heat before adding food. All the rest heat the pan then add oil etc bring to heat and add food. Also searing food with stainless once you put food in leave it alone, don't mess with it till you are ready to flip it. If the heat is correct it will come free easily. Oh and I have never owed nor would I own a Calphalon pan based on what others that have owned them have told me about them.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I have heard this before about some of the Calphalon pans. If it aluminum with stainless clad on the inside then it can't be that different basically that the clad pans I use as far as cooking goes and with them you need to preheat the pan, add oil/butter or some other source of fat then bring the pan up to cooking temp before putting in the food. It will need to be deglazed after use for meats etc before cleaning. The other problem you mentions is warping which I have also heard is a problem with all there pans in that they are simply too thin and can't handle high heats. I use non stick for eggs, bacon etc all of which don't require even medium heats as I never take them above a medium heat. Also with non stick add the oil etc while pan is cold then bring it to cooking heat before adding food. All the rest heat the pan then add oil etc bring to heat and add food. Also searing food with stainless once you put food in leave it alone, don't mess with it till you are ready to flip it. If the heat is correct it will come free easily. Oh and I have never owed nor would I own a Calphalon pan based on what others that have owned them have told me about them.

Ditch it. If it doesn't work as intended then write it off.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Now you know why I like my mom's old copper-bottomed, stainless-steel, heavy-weight Revereware pots and pans.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I hate ALL my claphalonpans DW thought black anodized would look nice. I WANT TO COOK, NOT LOOK AT IT.

Sorry - Rant over

Qsis, is your pan staqnless or black anodized?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now you know why I like my mom's old copper-bottomed, stainless-steel, heavy-weight Revereware pots and pans.

I just gave my last (12" fry pan) by Revereware to my sister in law and replaced it with a 13" Stainless All Clad French Chef's pan. I really don't miss it especially on my induction stove since I couldn't use it there though I still could on the electric top. I got tired of cleaning it and my sister in law now has all we had left from the set we got when my wife and I got married, a 2qt sauce pan and the fry/sauté pan. I don't miss them at all as I do love the All Clad stainless and Emerilware Pro line stainless (basically the same with better handles and half the price) but is also made by All Clad.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I don't miss them at all as I do love the All Clad stainless and Emerilware Pro line stainless (basically the same with better handles and half the price) but is also made by All Clad.

Whoa! Didn't know that Joe. Gotta look into it. Thanks.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes the Emerilware pro line is induction ready but then so was the old Emerilware at least the 2 pans I have from the old line are. They are basically the same as the All Clad SS though not as large a selection but every bit as good at least in my opinion regardless of cooking method. Example is the 4 qt sauté pan with lid - All Clad SS $209.95 and Emerilware Pro Line is $99.95 both of these prices are from Metro Kitchen who has free shipping also. Bed, Bath and Beyond sells for the same prices though you will pay sales tax with them which you don't in the Internet.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hate ALL my claphalonpans DW thought black anodized would look nice. I WANT TO COOK, NOT LOOK AT IT.

Sorry - Rant over

Qsis, is your pan staqnless or black anodized?

Adillo, it's the 10-inch pan in this picture [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Commercial-Hard-Anodized-9-Piece-Cookware/dp/B0007KQZ3O/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_a[/ame]

Heck of a deal on Amazon, if you like this stuff.

Lee

Constance

I got it as a gift years ago, and I've TRIED to like it, but I am ready to give it away. :angry:

Everything sticks. I just tried to brown some mushed up hash browns and all the "brown" stuck to the bottom. Can't cook bacon or eggs in it, either -they stick, too, and it's beotch to clean afterwards.

And the bottom doesn't sit flat on my glass top burner.

I love my non-stick and cast iron pans. Is there a reason (that I'm missing) to keep the Calphalon?

Lee

We love our Calphalon pans. Yours should not be sticking...are you turning the burner up too high? Did you read the instructions?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't have the hard anodized, Lee. Just the SS, which I love! I will say that I have a couple of pieces of Calphalon non-stick with the anodized exterior for my son to cook with. The exterior is ugly, ugly, ugly because when anything burns onto it, you can never get it off!! (And I'm a scrubber. My SS all looks brand new because I scrub it shiny every time I use it.) Anyway, I'm really sorry you are having this problem.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Qsis - Same pan, same problem.

Fisher's Mom - LOVE the avitar

Et Al - I really think stainless is the way to go.

In re: heat oil, etc - My plain ole cast iron works like a charm. Could be me, but, I don't think so.

Andy C

bowlingshirt

For cleaning regular anodized cookware, try using the scotch brite green scouring pads. It helped get mine clean when nothing else seemed to work.

PanchoHambre

Qsis

If you don't like it chuck it (or donate it or something)

I am not a fan of the hard anodized... I just don't like them don't really know why

I love my CI for all frying and searing.. I find I use my SS skillets less and less. But I do still find need for a non-reactive (SS) saute pan. Mainly for acidic or very creamy/sticky sauces that I am afraid to do in my ÇI.. if you have a non stick saute pan for this purpose and a CI one for when you need a sear or some fond then the pan is redundant.

gadzooks

I still have some Revere, too...Limited Edition that I don't much use, and some institutional stuff that was also branded Revere Patio Ware that is clad-bottom and very heavy. Long, tubular, knurled ss handles. Great stuff. Aluminum? Not in my kitchen, but thanks.

jkath

Gee, I really love my Calphalon! Matter of fact, about 75% of all my pots/pans are Calphalon, and they're all shiny-shiny. I get all the brown spots off with Bar Keeper's Friend. Works like a charm, and it's really cheap at Wal-mart.

jkath

stainless, and no non-stick of any sort (I refuse to use any non-stick, because of the toxic fumes that killed a couple of my birds)

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I would like the stainless, My pans and the one the OP was talking about are the black anodized. T think the anodize is the problem. Stainless is fine.

AC

jkath

drats!....and I thought I was paying attention.......! Well, do you suppose bkf would work on them as well?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I image the Calphalon stainless is pretty good, I looked at some at Bed, Bath & Beyond last time I was in there and it looked fine. I don't know if it will work with induction cook tops though. All I use now is cast iron (standard and enamel), carbon steel, stainless encapsulated or multi-ply, some glass oven stuff and only 2 non sticks both ScanPan brand.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Qsis

If you don't like it chuck it (or donate it or something)

I am not a fan of the hard anodized... I just don't like them don't really know why

I love my CI for all frying and searing.. I find I use my SS skillets less and less. But I do still find need for a non-reactive (SS) saute pan. Mainly for acidic or very creamy/sticky sauces that I am afraid to do in my ÇI.. if you have a non stick saute pan for this purpose and a CI one for when you need a sear or some fond then the pan is redundant.

Yep, my thoughts exactly, Panch.

jkath, having to use abrasives like Barkeeper's Friend, a scrubby pad and elbow grease to clean the damned Calphalon is what my gripe is about!

All I need with my inexpensive cast irons or non-sticks is a wet paper towel! I don't have any SS.

Geez, jkath - fumes from non-sticks killed your birds????? Did you ever smell anything weird?

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually all I do with my stainless is hot water and Bar Keepers Friend or Dawn dish washing liquid neither of which are an abrasive as both can be used on ceramic stove tops. I have never had to scrub them just let them sit a few minutes and wipe them out. My cast iron isn't easier or harder really. I never use Brillo pads or anything else like that in my kitchen on any of my pans. As for my carbon steel woks there I use a wire brush and no soap while still screaming hot.

pugger

I don't know what to tell you. We have Calphalon SS saute, 10" frying, 10"? Chef's pan, and a 12" multi-pot, in addition to a few sauce pans & stock pot. Except for the multi-pot (really a big saute w/ angled sides, 2 handles & a glass top) we bought it all at Tuesday morning before the debut of the various Calphalon SS products, a little over 10 years ago.

I can't say we've had the trouble you're having or that they're the greatest. They look good & were economical. We mostly use 3 pans - frying, chef's pot and multi-pot, and the saute rarely. The multi-pot is a work-horse that we use often.

All of the pots usually clean up in the dishwasher, w/ some extra cleaning needed if something sticks. Put vinegar in & maybe some hot water & what's stuck is usually coming off.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I image the Calphalon stainless is pretty good, I looked at some at Bed, Bath & Beyond last time I was in there and it looked fine. I don't know if it will work with induction cook tops though. All I use now is cast iron (standard and enamel), carbon steel, stainless encapsulated or multi-ply, some glass oven stuff and only 2 non sticks both ScanPan brand.
Just for your future reference, I don't think the Calphalon SS will work on your induction cook top. A magnet doesn't stick to any of Calphalon SS but it sticks great to my All-Clad.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
jkath, having to use abrasives like Barkeeper's Friend, a scrubby pad and elbow grease to clean the damned Calphalon is what my gripe is about!

All I need with my inexpensive cast irons or non-sticks is a wet paper towel! I don't have any SS.

Lee
I hear ya, Lee. I don't mind scrubbing mine with the BKF because the trade off is I can leave them sitting overnight soaking, which I can't do with CI.

Oh man, now everyone knows I let my dirty dishes sit out overnight!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Just for your future reference, I don't think the Calphalon SS will work on your induction cook top. A magnet doesn't stick to any of Calphalon SS but it sticks great to my All-Clad.

Thanks. I didn't think they would but was wondering. I've found the All-Clad SS works as does the older Emerilware with the copper works good also. The new Emerilware Pro line which is really the same as the All-Clad SS only cheaper with a more limited line also works. The Bistro Wolfgang Puck lines works but the Classic line of his doesn't work which I'm slowly but surely replacing. Scanpan which is the only non stick I would own due to it not using teflon anymore won't work in the Pro Line like I have. However April this year Scanpan is bringing out their new CTX line with the same stainless handles as my old pro line made with stainless will work with induction. I will be replacing my two fry pans as soon as they are available but all I use them for is eggs. There are many others out there that will also work but I don't have a definitive list put together yet. I do know that all cast iron and steel pans will work but not copper bottom or aluminum will ever work. But then copper is tough to keep looking good at least for me and I have never liked straight aluminum for cooking due to being reactive to some foods. I do like multiply pans as the best of all worlds which as long as the outside is magnetic will work with induction just fine.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks. I didn't think they would but was wondering. I've found the All-Clad SS works as does the older Emerilware with the copper works good also. The new Emerilware Pro line which is really the same as the All-Clad SS only cheaper with a more limited line also works. The Bistro Wolfgang Puck lines works but the Classic line of his doesn't work which I'm slowly but surely replacing. Scanpan which is the only non stick I would own due to it not using teflon anymore won't work in the Pro Line like I have. However April this year Scanpan is bringing out their new CTX line with the same stainless handles as my old pro line made with stainless will work with induction. I will be replacing my two fry pans as soon as they are available but all I use them for is eggs. There are many others out there that will also work but I don't have a definitive list put together yet. I do know that all cast iron and steel pans will work but not copper bottom or aluminum will ever work. But then copper is tough to keep looking good at least for me and I have never liked straight aluminum for cooking due to being reactive to some foods. I do like multiply pans as the best of all worlds which as long as the outside is magnetic will work with induction just fine.
I'm only buying stuff now that passes the magnet test (thank you for telling me about this, Joe) because I'm lusting after that round induction "burner" you got.