Beer Bratwurst

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My favorite way to make Brats. Be sure to get a good brand Johnsonville is about as good as most can get though so they will work fine. Oh and don't puncture the brats until you bite into them. :D

¼ to a ½ stick of butter.
Enough beer to cover Brats
1 onion sliced thin ½ rounds

Brats in pot, cover with sliced onion and ¼ stick of butter. Pour your favorite beer over them to cover. Heat at a very low heat, just enough to see the vapor coming up, for an hour to 90 minutes. Brown quickly on the grill and you have the juiciest, best tasting brat you’re going to find.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
umm sounds good Joe. I love brats on the grill, but never tried the pre prep that you mention here. I would change one part of your recipe .....
I wouldn't use my favorite beer ....I'd use a oddball beer that someone had left and had been in my fridg longer than it should. :D Then I'd drink my favorite one. :D

Deelady

we always just marinated our in beer before grilling....I'll try your method next time! thank you!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That will work too Dee as will steaming them in beer, which is how I make my hot dogs. Once in a while will cut a bell pepper as well as the onions then use it for a topping on the rolls I use with a good spicy mustard.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
umm sounds good Joe. I love brats on the grill, but never tried the pre prep that you mention here. I would change one part of your recipe .....
I wouldn't use my favorite beer ....I'd use a oddball beer that someone had left and had been in my fridg longer than it should. :D Then I'd drink my favorite one. :D

thought i would bump this old thread up..

i find that if you use a cheaper beer you can taste the difference...

i like to use a sweet beer like Dundees Honey Brown but have also used Rolling Rock and Newcastle Brown Ale with great success.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Beer Brats

2 pkgs beer brats
1 bottle of dark beer
Cooking oil

Simple and these are great.

I steamed the brats first in the beer, later adding a little water for approximately 15 minutes.
Do not boil, as the casings will split.
Drain of the liquid, then back in pan with about 1 T of cooking oil.
Slowly heat til they begin to sizzle.
Turn heat down to medium, turning with tongs until desired browness.

20180627_181601-768x768.jpg

20180627_182839-768x768.jpg

20180627_184912-768x768.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bumping this up for Sass.

How did you cook yours, Loralei?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those look magnificent, Sass! Plump and juicy, just the way I love them!

Lee

Ironman

🍺
Mango habanero brats cooked in a beer bath with onions and butter. Out to the grill for some color and then back in the beer bath. Very spicy... :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 502A47F1-13D8-4EF6-9198-C0C66B7EFE14.jpg
    502A47F1-13D8-4EF6-9198-C0C66B7EFE14.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 214
  • FAB5BD43-F0EB-49B2-BE7F-404271A24636.jpg
    FAB5BD43-F0EB-49B2-BE7F-404271A24636.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 210

Johnny West

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their beer brats are very good.

Attachments

• ####Brats.jpg
    ####Brats.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 192