Hummgbird Cake

As Ian has a birthday coming up in the very near future and is apt to be a little under the weather after surgery on or near the big day, I told him I'd make his birthday cake early for him and do it this coming weekend. I gave him a choice of which cake he'd like to have (either this recipe or the Irish Crème Cake I've made in the past) and he chose this one. I just thought, since it's so good, that I'd share the recipe with everyone:

Hummingbird Cake

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 eggs lightly beaten
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 8oz. tin crushed (undrained) pineapple
2 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 or 4 ripe bananas)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (preferred)

Directions for cake:

Preheat oven to 350°

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Mix together with a whisk. Add the eggs, vanilla, oil, pineapple, bananas and nuts. Mix until all ingredients are moistened.

Spray either three round 9" cake pans or one 9"X13" sheet cake pan with Pam spray. If using round pans, pour equal amounts of cake batter between all three pans or, if using sheet cake pan, pour all batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. When cake is done, frost between layers and on top and sides of round cake or on top of sheet cake with either canned cream cheese frosting or homemade cream cheese frosting and sprinkle top and sides with nut meats and refrigerate cake for up to four hours or overnight. This cake is just delicious and so moist!

Fallon :blowcandle:

Just as a side note, to get the full benefit of all the flavors and ingredients, using the round cake pans is really the optimum way to bake and serve this cake, with thick layers of frosting between each layer. I've even been known to bake it as a sheet cake and cut the finished sheet cake in half, turning the result into a square layer cake. Yummy!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since I love all things hummingbird, I will make this!

Fallon, I don't have round cake pans. What do you think about my using a spring form pan and then slicing the cake into 2 layers?

Happy early Birthday to Ian!

Lee

Hi, Lee - I don't see any reason why a sping form pan wouldn't work just fine - provided the cake didn't try to crawl out of it while baking - it rises pretty nicely. Thanks from Ian - but this is one he's trying to forget. Being nearly 40 is giving him all manner of female
vanity problems! Poor kid.

Fallon

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Being nearly 40 is giving him all manner of female
vanity problems! Poor kid.

Fallon

Years ago a comedian named Jack Benny decided he liked 39 the best so he just stopped there. He had his 39th birthday party each year after that. He had a 1928 Maxwell car if that tells you how long ago his first 39th birthday was. I'll to find a video for him.

His birthday cake sounds GREAT!

Give him our best wishes

Jim

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Being nearly 40 is giving him all manner of female
vanity problems!

Fallon, tell Ian what I always tell people who are lamenting their age: When he's 80, there's a good chance he'll be wishing he was 40 again.

(Note: This does not always apply. My 83 year old father is perfectly happy with his life as it is now, but then again, he never laments his age. Come to think of it, I never do, either. ;) )

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
As Ian has a birthday coming up in the very near future and is apt to be a little under the weather after surgery on or near the big day, I told him I'd make his birthday cake early for him and do it this coming weekend. I gave him a choice of which cake he'd like to have (either this recipe or the Irish Crème Cake I've made in the past) and he chose this one. I just thought, since it's so good, that I'd share the recipe with everyone:

Hummingbird Cake

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 eggs lightly beaten
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 8oz. tin crushed (undrained) pineapple
2 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 or 4 ripe bananas)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (preferred)

Directions for cake:

Preheat oven to 350°

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Mix together with a whisk. Add the eggs, vanilla, oil, pineapple, bananas and nuts. Mix until all ingredients are moistened.

Spray either three round 9" cake pans or one 9"X13" sheet cake pan with Pam spray. If using round pans, pour equal amounts of cake batter between all three pans or, if using sheet cake pan, pour all batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. When cake is done, frost between layers and on top and sides of round cake or on top of sheet cake with either canned cream cheese frosting or homemade cream cheese frosting and sprinkle top and sides with nut meats and refrigerate cake for up to four hours or overnight. This cake is just delicious and so moist!

Fallon :blowcandle:

Just as a side note, to get the full benefit of all the flavors and ingredients, using the round cake pans is really the optimum way to bake and serve this cake, with thick layers of frosting between each layer. I've even been known to bake it as a sheet cake and cut the finished sheet cake in half, turning the result into a square layer cake. Yummy!

Sounds interesting!

Do you have a pic of the finished product? :eating2: