NCT Cooks Challenge 28 : 12/13 - 12/19 : Smoked pig.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, Vera is busy, and since we have interest, let's keep the ball rolling.

Since startup is a day late, If anyone wants to extend the time, please let one of the Moderators know. Otherwise the challenge will run 12/13/2010 to 12/19/2010.

1. Duck
2. Ground Cow
3. Smoked Pig
4. Your favourite spice
5. Your favourite herb
6. Stew
7. Middle Eastern
8. Seasonal vegetable of your choice (must be 'in' season)

And the generator says..............

2rxu04l.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm making sausage and peppers for the Red Gravy Open House this Saturday....I can actually play again.

gotta get back in the kitchen now...

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Oh Yes! Anyone can play!

Rules are simple and few - just make something during the challenge week, featuring the challenge ingredient (this week any smoked pork product).

When you're finished, post your results. Recipe & pictures are both welcome.

That was easy!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Emeril's Red Beans and Rice, with Luckytrim's Collard Greens

This dinner had THREE smoked pork products! LOL!

I have made Frugal Gourmet's Red Beans and Rice several times, but decided to go with Emeril's recipe from "Louisiana Real and Rustic".

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ns-style-red-beans-and-rice-recipe/index.html

I had a length of andouille and used the whole thing, along with a one-pound ham steak. I cut WAY back on the cayenne, since the sausage was so spicy. The mixture turned out creamy and perfect!

Served with Luckytrim's WONDERFUL collard greens, cooked with a package of smoked pork neck bones instead of a hock.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4900&highlight=collard+greens

A hearty winter meal! I made enough to give some to a neighbor whose husband is ill, froze some, and have 2 lunches of leftovers!

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,104

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm making sausage and peppers for the Red Gravy Open House this Saturday....I can actually play again.

gotta get back in the kitchen now...
Vera are you going to use a smoked pork sausage? Sausage and peppers a la NOLA? Thats gonna be interesting!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Mixed salad topped with sliced mushroom cap, black olives, feta cheese, peanuts, sunflower seeds & smoked ham (canned).

salad_smoked_ham_122010_P1060953.JPG

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Smoked ham shank (unglazed) oven roasted in my large cast iron pan, turnip greens with diced turnips pan fried in the ham drippings and mashed potatoes (butter & sour cream) with natural ham juices from the cutting tray.

smoked_ham_shank_122010_P1060961.JPG

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
HMMMMMMMMMMM I just noticed the date was yesterday. OOPS I thought they overlapped one day starting on mondays and ended on tuesdays. Sorry I guess these 2 should be deleted?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Western egg scramble (smoked ham, red & green bell pepper & onions sautéed in butter scrambled eggs added), tomato dressed with EVOO, sea salt, ground peppercorns, ground course dry garlic and fresh basil and red pepper paste on the side.

western_scramble_122110_P1060973.JPG

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Split pea soup (Boiled smoked ham shank bone in water for 1 ½ hours; removed bone from pot and stripped the meat off. Simmered carrots, onion, potato, smoked ham shank meat, green split peas and liquid smoke in ham stock for approx. 1 hour till peas broke up and veggies were tender.)

split_pea_soup_smoked_ham_shank_bone_122210_P1060977.JPG

Last edited:

LETHAL GTS

Finally getting back into the grove.
I finally did something "Pig" last night.
Stuffed pork tenderloin with spinach, mushrooms onion garlic ricotta cheese. It turned out really well. The cauliflower wasn't very good. I had a the brainwave to put blue cheese in the cheddar cheese sauce. They do not compliment each other.

Attachments

• IMG00451-20110130-2050.jpg
    IMG00451-20110130-2050.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG00452-20110130-2051.jpg
    IMG00452-20110130-2051.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,057

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Lethal, how did you get the meat so thin? Did you cut it that way yourself?

Lee

LETHAL GTS

Yes cut and then beat it with a hammer!
I cut and rolled it out as thin as I could, then a used my meat tenderizer to pound it out thinner.
Then I placed it on plastic wrap, put the filling in and then rolled it up like a Cheech and Chong joint! :punk: