Banana Spice coming soon.

Derek

Banned
I've been in the test kitchen and I came up with this spice.

It's Banana dried in the dehydrator, and ground up[ in the coffee grinder and then to make ti taste earth I would had a teaspoon to every oz I would create.

When I work out all the details, Would anyone want to give it a try?

Free 1 oz samples.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, now this is interesting, Derek!

I can see this as a possible weight-loss aid, if indeed, the dried, ground banana had fewer calories than a fresh banana, with the same essential flavor.

I could see using it on my bran flakes in the morning, or stirring it into my cottage cheese, maybe sprinkling it on my grilled pineapple wedges, or on my watermelon slices.

Let us know how it is!

Lee

Derek

Banned
Will do Qsis, I also have a few other idea's up my sleeve.

By the way the spice will be attended for sweet bbq sauce or a sweet bbq dry rub.

But you have some good ideas as well.

Derek

Banned
Hey Gang,

It looks like I will need to get a stronger dehydrator to make my B-spice.

It's been 3 full day's and they're not even getting crispy at all.

Unless I need to leave the banana's on the dehydrator on longer?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Does your dehydrator have variable temp? I ran some banana slices at 145 over night and they were pretty crispy. Nice snack.

Derek

Banned
Does your dehydrator have variable temp? I ran some banana slices at 145 over night and they were pretty crispy. Nice snack.
Nope it's just a plug in and dehydrate only.

Dang it Well it's a little too late I will have to wait until next Saturday to try again.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok I'll try it with the next batch and I'm hitting my palm on my forehead and saying D'UH I forgot I could do that LOL.

How did the jerky taste?

Awesome. No difference between the dehydrator, and better than store bought. A little more work than the dehydrator, but it worked well.

Derek

Banned
I do my beef jerky in the oven too Keltin... fruit I do in the dehydrator... pineapple is the best.
Hmmmmm Pineapple.

Awesome. No difference between the dehydrator, and better than store bought. A little more work than the dehydrator, but it worked well.
How long on 145? I know you said a while but that could any where from 50 minutes to an 1 hour and 45 minutes?

DW likes orange slices for her homemade potpourri. Pineapple sounds yummy!
LOL, Potpourri, That's pretty funny I wouldn't want that stuff in my apartment it doesn't smell good.

It makes the whole house smell good...

You should try it Derek!! :)
I'm sure does Trish.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
How long on 145? I know you said a while but that could any where from 50 minutes to an 1 hour and 45 minutes?

"Over night". Go to bed about midnight or so, get up around 8 or 10. So 8 to 10 hours.

FryBoy

Eager to hear how it comes out. Your "powdered bananas" could be an interesting addition to a lot of things, especially Indian, African, and Jamaican dishes, if it keeps enough of the banana flavor. It might work as a thickening agent, too.

One thing occurred to me -- bananas have a lot of oil, so you may have to refrigerate or freeze the stuff to keep it from going bad.

Derek

Banned
Eager to hear how it comes out. Your "powdered bananas" could be an interesting addition to a lot of things, especially Indian, African, and Jamaican dishes, if it keeps enough of the banana flavor. It might work as a thickening agent, too.

One thing occurred to me -- bananas have a lot of oil, so you may have to refrigerate or freeze the stuff to keep it from going bad.
The first spice that goes in the fridge then? That be different. And you have a few good idea's Fryboy. I just hope it turns out and then I can get it patient.

FryBoy

Not so sure you'll be able to patten your banana spice. Out of curiosity, I Googled "dried banana powder" and found that a lot of places sell it already, and there are many brands of it from all around the world. Most of it is freeze dried, but one from India is "spray" dried, whatever that means.

Here's a couple of samples:

Click Me

Another Brand

This site has a lot of information about the stuff, including tips on making it at home:

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/driedbanana