29 oz Stone ground whole wheat flour (5-1/2 to 6 C)...100.0%
3 t Salt (1T + 1t Kosher salt) (.75 oz.) ..........................2.5%
3T Dry Milk (.45 oz) ....................................................1.5%
4t Vital wheat gluten (.60 oz.) ......................................2.1%
3T Molasses (2.25 oz.) ............................................... 7.8%
3T Butter melted (3 oz.) ............................................10.3%
2-1/2t Instant yeast (.42 oz.) .......................................1.5%
18.6 oz Warm water (105-110 F) ................................ 64.2%
54.82 oz. ................................................................178.5%

Directions:

Combine flour, salt, yeast, vital gluten and dry milk in a large bowl and blend well. In a separate bowl, combine warm water, melted butter and molasses. Hollow out the flour mixture and pour liquid into the center. With a wooden spoon pull the flour into the liquid until you have shaggy mixture, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth & elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Remove dough to a well greased bowl (covering dough with oil on all surfaces), cover with plastic and allow to rest until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.

If using a stand mixer with dough hook, put liquid into mixing bowl and slowly add flour mixture, reserving about 1/2 Cup. On speed 2, add flour until dough pulls cleanly away from the bowl, then continue to mix for 7 minutes to develop the gluten. Remove dough from bowl and shape into a tight ball, then place in a well greased bowl (covering dough with oil on all surfaces), cover with plastic and allow to rest until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.

Punch down dough and divide into two portions. Fold dough letter style, press dough into a square, then roll into a log shape, pinching the seam closed and tucking the ends under. Place into two oiled 9"x5" bread pans, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place until doubled in size.

Bake in a pre heated 400 F oven for 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 200 F. Remove from pans to a cooling rack. Wait for one hour before cutting bread. Allow bread to reach room temperature (about 3 hours) before placing in plastic bags and place in the freezer. Will keep up to 30 days. Makes 2 loaves 27 oz. each.

P1010629.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The vital wheat gluten makes a big difference when it comes to 100% whole wheat bread. Another beautiful loaf, Joe.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Looks great Joe. I didn't realize before that you're using baker's math. Really nice that you list the percentages.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Looks great Joe. I didn't realize before that you're using baker's math. Really nice that you list the percentages.
I don't often use baker's percentages, but just had some time so I added it in with this recipe. I focus on weight of ingredients more than anything for repeatability.

suziquzie

Dumb ???
Using regular yeast rather than instant and proofing 1st doesnt make a difference in amount does it?
Looks like what I've been looking for!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Dumb ???
Using regular yeast rather than instant and proofing 1st doesnt make a difference in amount does it?
Looks like what I've been looking for!
Use three packages of your old fashioned yeast and you'll be fine. Can't you get some Instant Yeast from work? A 1# brick of SAF Instant Yeast is less than $4. Bat your eyelashes at someone as ask real sweet.:kiss:

suziquzie

I asked and she got me a price but then got all worried about how to work out royalty costs to the franchise, etc.....
I said forget it and I keep meaning to order from KA.... but I have a full jar of other yeast to use up.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Is this the one you got banned for at the other place Joe??

If so I can see why, they just couldn't compete! Looks great!