Strawberry Icebox Pie

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I just watched Cook's Country and they made this. It's supposed to be just like the Strawberry Pie they used to make at Shoney's/Big Boy only better. That was a great pie!

SFS_StrawberryPie003_280726.jpg

Serves 8

Ingredients Filling
  • 2 pounds frozen strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced thin
  • 1 (9-inch) pie shell, baked and cooled
Topping
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup heavy cream
Instructions

• 1. COOK FROZEN BERRIES Cook frozen berries in large saucepan over medium-low heat until berries begin to release juice, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until thick and jamlike, about 25 minutes (mixture should measure 2 cups).
  • 2. ADD GELATIN Combine lemon juice, water, and gelatin in small bowl. Let stand until gelatin is softened and mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir gelatin mixture, sugar, and salt into cooked berry mixture and return to simmer, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
  • 3. ADD FRESH BERRIES Fold fresh berries into filling. Spread evenly in pie shell and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. (Filled pie can be refrigerated for 24 hours.)
  • 4. MAKE TOPPING With electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth, about 30 seconds. With mixer running, add cream and whip until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Serve pie with whipped cream topping.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO We have eaten at Shoney's while on vacation and I loved the strawberry pie. I'll have to try this (maybe add some rhubarb :brows:).

Thanks for the recipe Mama.

I also want to make the copy cat Bob Evens lemon pie.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay....this is AMAZING....hands down the BEST strawberry pie I've ever had! This was actually BETTER than Shoney's Strawberry Pie!

I did use my flaky pie crust recipe instead of theirs though

Attachments

• strawberry-pie.jpg
    strawberry-pie.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,683

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Peepers...if you like Shoney's strawberry pie, you gotta try this...it's way better! Make sure you have plenty of the whipped cream/cream cheese topping!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peepers...if you like Shoney's strawberry pie, you gotta try this...it's way better! Make sure you have plenty of the whipped cream/cream cheese topping!
OK but it will have to wait till fresh strawberries look good and are a good price. But that picture is awesome!! Does the cream cheese stabilize the whipped cream a bit?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I used whipped cream in the pic but have since gone to the store and bought some cream cheese since I was out. I made the whipped topping as directed. I can tell you that the topping doesn't look as pretty as the whipped cream but it tastes wayyyyyyyyy better on the pie.