Sides for Baked Stuffed Haddock?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am not a huge fan of fish, but I LOVE this easy recipe!

Thing is, I haven't found the best side dishes to complement the fish.

One time, I served it with salad and quinoa. Good.

Another time I served it with fresh wax beans and sliced tomato, from the garden. Better.

Any suggestions?

Lee

Baked Stuffed Haddock

1 lb. Haddock filets (two good-sized filets)

Stuffing:
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
1 stick butter, melted
3 Tbsp. dry sherry or white wine
1 garlic clove, minced or 1 teas. garlic powder
Chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes
Ground pepper to taste

Soak fish in a little milk first, about an hour. Mix stuffing ingredients.

Place fish skin down, in a baking dish. Pat stuffing on top. Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes. Serve piping hot with lemon wedges.

24 Baked stuffed haddock, salad, quinoa.JPG
Baked stuffed haddock  dinner.JPG

Last edited:
For some reason I always like garlicy sauteed greens with fish - either spinach or Swiss Chard. I add the cooked or blanched greens to a little extra-virgin olive oil & butter along with roughly chopped garlic to taste, sometimes adding just a dash of seasoned dry bread crumbs to help the garlicy butter-oil adhere to the greens.

Also like buttered orzo as a side - maybe with some freshly chopped parsley & a fresh chopped tomato added in. Sometimes a dash of grated parmesan.

Green (or wax) beans are another favorite of mine as a fish side - just boiled or steamed & then tossed with butter & some dried or fresh chopped marjoram.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I love spinach with fish. Since fish is usually so white, I go for a lot of color. Spinach & carrots. Bright colorful salad.

I usually skip potatoes or pasts, since it tends to give me an all white plate of food. I don't want to be mistaken for a hospital dietician!!!

mhend

I LOVE to serve haricot vert with fish. I drop them into boiling water for a couple of minutes then into an ice bath. Drain. Saute some garlic in butter and add the beans to the pan for a couple of minutes to re-heat them. Finish them with a little salt. It has quickly become my favorite vegetable.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooked greens and beans appear to be out in front!

Good, because I love them both!

I like the carrot idea, too!

Thanks, folks!

Lee

When it comes to fish, I usually like clean flavors. I would 86 the cracker crumbs & lightly season the fish adding citrus (lemon or lime juice), or top it off with a salsa like mango or strawberry & avocado or pico de gallo; and serve with lime cilantro rice & oven-roasted cherry tomatoes. Grilled asparagus with some olive oil & lemon juice is another favorite. Mostly, I walk around the Produce Dept to see what's in season, and go from there.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
When it comes to fish, I usually like clean flavors. I would 86 the cracker crumbs & lightly season .........

LOL! I'm with you on this one, CalCook. I have a similar recipe with a topping of coconut, macadamias, crumbs, etc. SousChef likes it for precisely the reason I'm not enamored with it - it camouflages the fact that you're eating fish!

But I think if you start with the premise that QSis isn't a big fan of seafood (notice the milk soak), you'll appreciate her attraction to this recipe. It probably hides the fish very well. Did I get that right, Lee?

I'll bet if someone has non-fish eaters at home, this would be a great way to get them to try it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
But I think if you start with the premise that QSis isn't a big fan of seafood (notice the milk soak), you'll appreciate her attraction to this recipe. It probably hides the fish very well. Did I get that right, Lee?

Bingo, SS! The stuffing is the BEST part!

If you read my comment in the clam sauce thread, you'll see that I think all you folks are wrecking a perfectly good pasta sauce by putting clams in there!

:smile:

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Your fish looks mighty good to me. I like it plain, with crumbs, fried, baked, broiled, stewed, grilled.....any way it's put in front of me.

Asparagus on the side--roll it around in a skillet with some evoo/salt/pepper until it's just crisp tender

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Oh Yes!!!! Asparagus is a great compliment to fish. The slight bitterness of the asparagus contrasts the natural sweetness of the fish nicely!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
For some reason, when I make fish, I usually make plain white rice to go with it, and then mix the cooked rice with an abundance of chopped, steamed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, green beans, corn, zucchini) and add, of course, a fair amount of butter, salt and pepper. It makes for a colorful side dish, with lots of different textures and flavors, as a foil to the rather bland fish. I'll look around my pics and see if I can find one...

When it comes to fish, I usually like clean flavors. I would 86 the cracker crumbs & lightly season the fish adding citrus (lemon or lime juice), or top it off with a salsa like mango or strawberry & avocado or pico de gallo; and serve with lime cilantro rice & oven-roasted cherry tomatoes. Grilled asparagus with some olive oil & lemon juice is another favorite. Mostly, I walk around the Produce Dept to see what's in season, and go from there.

You can serve any of the above on the side. I meant to mention - oven-roasted cherry tomatoes stuffed with garlic cloves & drizzled with olive oil.

LOL, Sage @ dietition food. For a second, the Early Bird Boca Special flashed through my head. Hope your laughing. I'm just funnin' along with you.

Check out SS's sole pic/plate. Nice job.

apinchofflavor

Your from where I'm from in the Boston area and just reading this recipe makes me miss home. I guess your right when not knowing what to serve it with. I guess I always just ate it with a salad and warm rolls.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm fanatical 'bout diced tomato w/ fish, (i use canned ones when they're not in season let them simmer in the juice), seasoned w/ minced onion, basil & oregano, minced garlic, & that. i've added mushrooms, too. i'm another for haricot vert. also summer squash/zucchini cooked simply & buttered, salted & w/ pepper.

as for starches, i like lentils in cream & also- though not a starch-, leeks/fennel in cream, though w/ heartier fish like salmon. for color, smushed peruvians w/ chives

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bumped up for Chowderman. This is REALLY good, Chowder!

Lee
Baked stuffed haddock  dinner.JPG

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
thanks! I'm a big fan of crusty toppings - sweet or savory.

it's not really a "stuffing" tho? or did I miss something?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
thanks! I'm a big fan of crusty toppings - sweet or savory.

it's not really a "stuffing" tho? or did I miss something?

You are correct, CM - it is not stuffed INTO anything, yet "Baked Stuffed Haddock" is what I've always known the dish to be called.

Lee

Embryodad

I am not a huge fan of fish, but I LOVE this easy recipe!

Thing is, I haven't found the best side dishes to complement the fish.

One time, I served it with salad and quinoa. Good.

Another time I served it with fresh wax beans and sliced tomato, from the garden. Better.

Any suggestions?

Lee

Baked Stuffed Haddock

1 lb. Haddock filets (two good-sized filets)

Stuffing:
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
1 stick butter, melted
3 Tbsp. dry sherry or white wine
1 garlic clove, minced or 1 teas. garlic powder
Chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes
Ground pepper to taste

Soak fish in a little milk first, about an hour. Mix stuffing ingredients.

Place fish skin down, in a baking dish. Pat stuffing on top. Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes. Serve piping hot with lemon wedges.

Sounds and looks good Lee! Haddock or Cod are my favorite fish. Nice big flakes of flesh.....
A good go with, would be Mac and cheese.