Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Breakfast, Brunch, Eggs, Cheese and Dairy Forum

Breakfast, Brunch, Eggs, Cheese and Dairy Forum Includes quiche, omelets, yogurt, cheeses etc.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Grill Master

Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,647 Posts
QSis will become famous soon enough
Default Burrata cheese

Medtran has mentioned this cheese and posted a couple of photos of tomato salads she's made with it. I'd never heard of it before medtran.

So, when I was out to dinner last week, I saw on the menu an appetizer of sliced tomatoes, burrata, with sundried tomato sauce and pesto. Had to order it.

I LOVED it!!! I was going on and on about it, even after they brought my seared tuna steak entrée (which was "eh", compared with the salad).

It's a ball of mozzarella that has a solid "skin" on the outside, and creamy, oozy cheese on the inside. Like a cheese purse.

I was particularly impressed by the way the sundried tomato sauce worked with the burrata and fresh tomatoes, so I bought the stuff to make it at home. When garden tomatoes aren't in season, I buy Kumato tomatoes (the brown tomatoes) - they are delicious.

The top photo is the one I took at the restaurant (The Rudder, in Gloucester, MA - excellent and beautiful place on the harbor). The other photos are of my home salad.

Thank you, Medtran, for inspiring me AGAIN!!!

Lee
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to QSis For This Useful Post:
lilbopeep (07-01-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 AM
Entree Cook

medtran49 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Burrata cheese

You're welcome. It is very, very good isn't it? I like the idea of using pesto as well. I bet the pesto I make with our oven-dried tomatoes would be great. Lovely plates all around!
The Following User Says Thank You to medtran49 For This Useful Post:
QSis  (07-02-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Grill Master

Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,647 Posts
QSis will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Burrata cheese

I picked up a container of Burrata at Trader Joe's because I wanted to compare it to the Bel Giososo that I get at Stop & Shop.

There are TWO large balls of cheese in the TJ's container, each is at least twice the size of each of the five balls in the Bel Giososo container.

The taste and texture are the same, otherwise.

I prefer the smaller balls - each of them is just enough.'

This was lunch.

Lee
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to QSis For This Useful Post:
medtran49 (07-29-2018)

Tags
sun dried tomato, tomato and burrata salad