WFO Update

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Well, we're all but done. The Flintstones showed up today and we built my work table to the left of the WFO. I have to bullnose the stone and flame it yet, but then I guess I can call it a finished project.

I started firing it up last week, and took it to 525 tonight. I had some focaccia dough frozen from the ECG, so I defrosted some and made pizza :) Not true temp for pizza on a WFO, but sure did taste good.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OK, that is amazing Warren! The pizza and the work table. But I have questions - what kind of stone is the worktop? It's awesome. And what does flaming it mean? And finally, is that basil on the pizza? I'm growing basil right now and I want to know what to do with it.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OK, that is amazing Warren! The pizza and the work table. But I have questions - what kind of stone is the worktop? It's awesome. And what does flaming it mean? And finally, is that basil on the pizza? I'm growing basil right now and I want to know what to do with it.
yup thats basil!! yummy!! use basil in almost anything!! it is great with tomatoes!! put it in meatballs, braciole filling, tomato salad (olive oil, salt, fresh ground black pepper, fresh garlic, cut up tomato and fresh basil chiffonade, dip crusty bread in the oil yummy), tomato sauce, salad dressing, pizza, the fresh basil possibitities are endless!! and don't forget to put some up for winter use.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
The stone is PA blue stone, but with a high iron content so it shows some rust. My wife and I like that "look." Flaming is a process where, after you bullnose it, you wet the edge with water and then hit it with a torch. The water soaks in just a tiny bit, and then the torch creates steam that pops off a thin layer of the stone in irregular tiny pieces. Makes the edge look quite weathered and like it's been there a while. The edge is flamed in the picture below.

web.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
WARNING: really stupid question coming!!

if the oven is heated by burning wood in bottom chamber why does the cooking chamber have cinders in it?

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
The bottom chamber is for wood storage, not the fire. The fire is directly in the oven (hint... with the embers) :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The bottom chamber is for wood storage, not the fire. The fire is directly in the oven (hint... with the embers) :)
ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! i thought it was like the BBQ type oven were you load wood underneath the cooking area. please excuse my stupidity!!