What's Cooking, NCT? Sunday, 02-22/2015 / Saturday, 02/28/2015

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Comfort dinner tonight. Roasted chuck roast with wine reduction pan gravy, smashed taters, green beans & salad. Brownies for dessert. Mmmmm...

Attachments

• Dinner 0212215.jpg
    Dinner 0212215.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 540

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Pan seared pork chops simmered with sliced onion, sliced potato, sauerkraut, caraway seeds, fennel seeds and pork gravy till chops are tender.

Shermie

Site Supporter
This was cooked for dinner yesterday by the master chef at his house!!

He made stuffed peppers, noodles & veggies! Smart kid!! Hah!! :WitchBrewsSmiley: :weber: :blob_blue:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 513
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 492

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Chicken-n-rice soup and grilled cheese with red onion & tomato on homemade Slovenian bread. Nice comfort meal for a cold day in NE Ohio.
Attached Images
attachment.php

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm planning to make Chicken Adobo for the first time for dinner tonight. It sounds like something I would like, but we'll see...

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Made a crust-less quiche for dinner. Loaded with everything from the veggie drawer, plus bacon that I cooked crispy, then finely chopped and mixed into the casserole. Toast with butter & blackberry preserves as well.DW and I both got filled, and there's enough casserole left over for tomorrow's dinner.
Attached Images
attachment.php

Saliha

Friday is a pizza day:

hm2jlcw67qtp.jpg

Tomato-olive sauce, kebab meat, black olives, green sweet pepper, basil, garlic, grated cheese.

:readytoeat:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Friday is a pizza day:

hm2jlcw67qtp.jpg

Tomato-olive sauce, kebab meat, black olives, green sweet pepper, basil, garlic, grated cheese.

:readytoeat:

Eating out tonight, & that is exactly what I'm having!! Pizza & a few nice cold ones!!! Hah!! :clap: :applause:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
aw. my buddy bought me pierogies. he was not gonna take one- lemme tell yinz- so, pierogies & sour crème w/ scads of black pepper & pabst fer me.
'iggle samples, too, when went grocery shoppin', as well.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Made a crust-less quiche for dinner. Loaded with everything from the veggie drawer, plus bacon that I cooked crispy, then finely chopped and mixed into the casserole. Toast with butter & blackberry preserves as well.DW and I both got filled, and there's enough casserole left over for tomorrow's dinner.
Attached Images
attachment.php

Can't see the pic Joe :sad:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm planning to make Chicken Adobo for the first time for dinner tonight. It sounds like something I would like, but we'll see...

Pretty tasty, but probably won't make it again due to the amt of sodium:

0eb2c32b-7708-4feb-b1c4-47f65ab0369e.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, did you use canned chiles in adobo sauce (way too hot for me, I think) or Adobo seasoning (which I love)?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here are me (gray t-shirt) and Glen, the head of catering at our church. I was browning up pierogis & onions on the flat top grill while he was frying fish & fries while a photographer was assembling a story on local fish frys in the area. My 15 minutes of fame.
yum.gif

I left the kitchen early after I went through 4 cases of pierogies and helping the baked fish guy prep 5 sheet pans of Alaskan pollock. He preped and baked 20 sheet pans of fish, which was 5 cases. Last week we sold 550 meals from 5-7:30 pm. That's a butt-load of work for 20 volunteers.
Attached Images
attachment.php

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
DW doesn't care for the typical round pie shape - so I went with a 9 inch square casserole.

for quick&dirty I used the pre-made Pepperridge Farm puff pastry. it's perhaps not the best (contains no butter.....) but it works reasonably well.

the chicken - started out as a 5 lb whole fryer - stewed with onion, carrots, celery and potato. picked the left overs, reserved the cooking liquid which jelled nicely on cooling. to make the pot pie filling, reheated to 'melt' the jelled water, strained out and diced the left over chicken - strained out any left over tired vegetables.

brought the jelled original cooking liquid to a simmer, added sliced/diced leeks, fresh carrot and celery plus one smallish & finely diced russett potato for thickening. when the veggies got fork tender, added back the chicken to warm through.

to prevent SCS (soggy crust syndrome....) I blind baked at 425'F about 15 minutes. I rolled out the puff pastry to cover bottom and up sides - it's actually wrapped it a bit over the edge so it would not collapse into the casserole. the top edges will overbrown - see below.

DSC_3594.jpg

poured the chicken mix in the baked shell, added a top layer, with decoration, back into the oven at 425'F until the pastry puffed, then reduced to 350 to heat through and brown nicely - about 20 minutes.

DSC_3597.jpg

DSC_3599.jpg

DSC_3602.jpg

allow about ten minutes to cool, use sharp knife to remove over browned crust.

DSC_3604.jpg

and, with the left over puff pastry - brushed with butter, sprinkled with granulated sugar
- alternative cin&sugar -
and bingo - puff pastry sugar cookies for dessert!

DSC_3600.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cooksie, did you use canned chiles in adobo sauce (way too hot for me, I think) or Adobo seasoning (which I love)?

Lee

Neither, it's a Filipino style Chicken Adobo. The basics are: chicken, soy sauce, vinegar, water, garlic, bay leaf, black pepper. I added a touch of honey also.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made cheese fondue for dinner last night. Cubed bread, raw broccoli and cauliflower for dipping.