Yankee Pot Roast in the Pressure Cooker: TNT

FryBoy

I made a Yankee Pot Roast in the pressure cooker for dinner last night -- it was one of the best pot roasts I've had in a long time! Highly recommended!

I used a boneless cross-cut chuck roast, which is the local name for a chuck cross rib roast, but any good, relatively lean chunk 'o beef would work equally well. However, I've found the cross-cut chuck to have excellent flavor and texture, and it's very lean. It's become my favorite for pot roasts or cut up for stews, especially when it's on sale for $2.49 per pound as it was Friday at Von's.

Here's the recipe (printable copy attached) -- don't be put off by the number of step-by-step directions, that's just my way of writing recipes, and it's really quite easy:

Pressure Cooker Yankee Pot Roast

1 3- to 4-pound beef pot roast, such as cross-cut chuck
salt
fresh finely ground black pepper
paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion
3 large garlic cloves (or 6 small)
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups canned beef broth
1 cup peeled baby carrots
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, softened

1. Trim and peel onion; cut into ¼-inch thick slices, then cut slices in half crosswise; set aside.

2. Peel garlic and cut large cloves in half lengthwise; set aside.

3. Trim roast of any excess fat, but do not remove the “fat cap” on one end.

4. Rinse roast and pat dry with paper towels; season with salt, pepper, and paprika on all sides, rubbing in the seasonings with your fingers.

5. Heat oil in pot of large pressure cooker (6- to 8-quart) over medium-high heat; add roast and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.

6. Remove roast from pan and place on plate.

7. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan; add onion and saute over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

8. Add bay leaves, thyme, and garlic to pan; stir and saute about 30 seconds.

9. Add broth to pan; bring to boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.

10. Return meat and any accumulated juices to pan; lock lid in place and bring to high pressure over high heat.

11. Reduce heat to maintain high pressure and cook 60 to 80 minutes, depending on weight of roast.

12. Remove pan from heat; release pressure by quick-release method; remove roast to cutting board and cover with foil.

13. Allow sauce to rest about 5 minutes, then skim off and discard any fat that accumulates on the surface.

14. Add carrots to pan, lock lid in place, bring to high pressure, adjust heat to maintain pressure, and cook 5 minutes.

15. Mix flour and butter together in a small bowl.

16. Remove pan from heat; release pressure by quick-release method.

17. Add about 1 cup of sauce from pan to butter and flour mixture, stirring to blend; return mixture to pan, stirring to blend over medium heat.

18. Slice roast and return to pan to reheat for a few minutes before serving.

Attachments

• Yankee Pot Roast 2010-03-07 #1.jpg
    Yankee Pot Roast 2010-03-07 #1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 4,062
  • Yankee Pot Roast 2010-03-07 #2.jpg
    Yankee Pot Roast 2010-03-07 #2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 4,184
  • Pot Roast, Yankee, Pressure Cooker.pdf
    85.5 KB · Views: 670

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
um um um, that sure looks good. We'll have to be sure to try this one.
Thanks FryBoy!!!!!!!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doug I will be trying this for sure. Love my pressure cooker for this kind of things. It does look really good too.

FryBoy

This reheated very well -- about 2/3 of the roast was remaining, and I just placed the sliced meat and gravy in a covered Pyrex casserole and heated it in the microwave on 50% power for about 15 minutes.

buckytom

Grill Master
looks delicious, fry.

i'm curious, though. i wouldn't think to use a lean type of meat for a pot roast, but then again, i've never used a pressure cooker. do pressure cookers work differently than a slow cooker or the stove top in the case of fat and connective tissue? besides the time difference, of course.

FryBoy

Lean meats such as the cross-cut chuck I used for this recipe come out quite tender in the pressure cooker. Not sure why that is, but in any case here's a quote from the Kuhn Rikon site, which is the brand of PCs I have:

"Pressure cooking retains and intensifies flavors, melding them more quickly, while the pressure produced tenderizes tougher cuts of meat and softens beans, improving textures and flavors"