Open-faced Ribeye Sandwich with Onions and Mushrooms

AllenOK

Last year, I was cutting a Prime Rib clod into 8 oz Ribeyes to use for chicken fried steak. I had been asked by my Chef to start thinking about new menu ideas. I asked my Chef what the cost/pound was for the Prime Rib clods. It worked out that they 8 oz steaks I was cutting cost us about $3.50 or so. Off the top of my head, I popped off this sandwich:

8 oz Ribeye, hand-cut, seasoned, and grilled to order (they're kind of then, anything rare - med rare is tricky not to overcook). Served open-faced on a toasted hoagie roll, covered with sauteed onions and mushrooms, then a ladle of gravy over top. Served with fries or chips.

About 15 minutes after I mentioned it, when I finished cutting the Prime clod for CFS, I had a 6 oz piece remaining. I went ahead and made one of these sandwiches as a trail. OMG!!!!

Oddly enough, this sandwich enjoyed limited movement during lunch, and rarely during dinner service. I attribute that to: 1) We started seeing a loss of business volume at the start of the recession, 2) Even though it's 8 oz, THIS IS A FREAKING BIG MEAL, most folks don't want something that big and heavy for lunch.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Ohhh that sounds so good!! And don't put it past me to order something that big for lunch either!! LOL.